You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 166613  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 166613
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD (west side)
  RIMSWELL, EAST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE, EAST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 16 December 1966
Date of last amendment: 16 December 1966
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

RIMSWELLCHURCH ROADTA 32 NW(west side)4/71Church of St Mary16.12.66

RIMSWELL CHURCH ROAD TA 32 NW (west side) 4/71 Church of St Mary 16.12.66 II Parish church. 1801 by Charles Mountain of Kingston upon Hull; alterations of 1885 included removal of west gallery, reseating, refenestration; reroofed c1980. Coursed reused rubble and ashlar, faced in yellow brick in Flemish bond, partly stuccoed to east end of nave and partly concrete rendered to tower; limestone ashlar and red brick dressings. Concrete tile roof. West tower with west door, 3-bay nave, single-bay chancel. Ashlar plinth. 3-stage tower: first stage has round-arched entrance with board door and fanlight in round-arched recessed red brick panel, 4-course red brick flush band with raised ashlar band above; second stage, rendered to north and south sides, has raised ashlar panels, stuccoed 2-course brick band; stepped-in third stage has recessed round-arched belfry openings with wooden louvres, raised dentilled brick cornice; rendered stone-coped parapet, plain sandstone angle pinnacles. Nave: pilasters flanking full- height round-arched panels with ashlar impost band and original round-arched window openings, blocked to base and containing inserted recessed twin round-headed windows; raised dentilled red brick cornice, narrow ashlar string course, red brick frieze with recessed rectangular panels above windows; stone-coped gable. West end has single round-arched openings flanking tower, with inserted recessed round-arched windows and single recessed rectangular panels above. Chancel: similar recessed round-arched panel with inserted window in original opening, plain 3-course red brick band, frieze with recessed panel above; to south side full-height round arched panel to east side with inserted stepped triple round-headed window in shortened original round-arched opening; hipped roof. Windows have ashlar sills, all openings have rubbed-brick arches. Remnants of stucco to east end of nave and north side of chancel, covering wall, cornice and frieze. Interior. Chamfered round arches to nave and chancel. Boarded coved ceiling. Gothick panelled pulpit with traceried balustrade to staircase. Late C19 wall tablets to chancel. Royal Arms of 1802 at east end of nave. The rubble walls incorporate reused masonry, probably material salvaged from the medieval church at nearby Owthorne, endangered by the sea and demolished in the late C18. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, East Riding, 1972, p 329;'Victoria County History: York, East Riding, vol 5, 1984, pp 95-6.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.