You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 166621  

Print Page



© Mr Terry Dawson LRPS

IoE Number: 166621
Location: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, EAST BANK ROAD (north side)
  SUNK ISLAND, EAST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE, EAST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Terry Dawson LRPS
Date Photographed: 04 May 2002
Date listed: 27 February 1987
Date of last amendment: 27 February 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SUNK ISLANDEAST BANK ROADTA 21 NE(north side)10/79Church of The HolyTrinity

SUNK ISLAND EAST BANK ROAD TA 21 NE (north side) 10/79 Church of The Holy Trinity GV II Parish church. 1876-7 by Ewan Christian. Red brick in English bond with sandstone ashlar bands to nave; limestone ashlar dressings. Westmorland slate roof. 4-bay nave with short passage to south-west porch tower, 2-bay apsidal chancel with vestry adjoining to north side. Chamfered plinth. Single buttress between nave and chancel with tumbled-in brick to offsets. 2-stage tower: tall first stage has pointed chamfered south doorway beneath brick hoodmould with ashlar stops, single lancet above; single lancet to west; apsidal stair turret to east with slit-lights, dentilled cornice and half-conical roof with ashlar fleur-de-lys finial. Moulded string course. 2-light plate-traceried belfry openings with pierced roundels above twin lancets, continuous pointed hoodmould, stepped and cogged brick cornice, short pyramidal spire with ball finial and weather-cock. Passage between tower and nave has single lancets. Nave: single lancets and stepped triple lancet to south, single lancets to north, large plate-traceried west window with tall central lancet flanked by pairs of shorter lancets with pierced roundels above, beneath pointed arch and hoodmould. Single lancets to chancel. All windows in chamfered brick reveals with ashlar sills and imposts, continuous brick hoodmoulds; some windows to chancel have wrought- iron bars with fleur-de-lys finials. Vestry has square-headed east door, ornate chimney with corbelled shafts, moulded string course and corbelled head. Continuous roof with deep eaves and exposed rafter ends, stone-coped west gable with shaped kneelers. Interior. Porch has pointed triple- chamfered inner arch, passage has pointed chamfered door to nave. Nave open to chancel, with round arch to chancel of twin moulded timber ribs with panelled soffit, on square brick piers with scalloped ashlar capitals. Pointed roll-moulded arch with hoodmould to vestry. Scissor-braced roof to nave, ceiled half-domed wagon roof to chancel with brattished wall-plate and herringbone timber panels. Minton tiles to chancel. Oak altar rail on ornate cast-iron supports. Stained glass of 1889-90. Marble wall tablets re-set from earlier church: to Ann Grayburn of 1846 with draped urn, to William Johnson of 1846 with books in moulded pediment, to Mary Lambert of 1836 with pediment and dove, similar tablet to John Lambert of 1850. One of Christian's more accomplished churches, contemporary with his neighbouring vicarage (qv). Declared redundant c1983. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, East Riding, 1972, p 352; Victoria County History: York, East Riding, vol 5, 1984, p 139.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.