You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 166663  

Print Page



© Mr Brian Callan LRPS

IoE Number: 166663
Location: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MAIN STREET (east side)
  PRESTON, EAST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE, EAST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Brian Callan LRPS
Date Photographed: 05 August 2006
Date listed: 16 December 1966
Date of last amendment: 16 December 1966
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

PRESTONMAIN STREETTA 13 SE(east side)1/17Church of All Saints

PRESTON MAIN STREET TA 13 SE (east side) 1/17 Church of All Saints 16.12.66 I Parish church. C13 north arcade, C14 south arcade; C15 north aisle, north chapel and tower; C15 - early C16 south aisle and clerestory. Restorations of c1800, south door rebuilt 1828, chancel restored 1879; restorations of 1880-82 included re-roofing; further restorations of c1900, to roof in 1964 and tower in 1982. Limestone ashlar to tower and north aisle, quarry-faced ashlar to chancel; reused ashlar, rubble and cobbles to south aisle and clerestory; nave east gable rendered. Slate roof to chancel, lead roofs to remainder. West tower with west door, 4-bay aisled nave with north and south doors, 2-bay chancel with north chapel, now organ chamber/vestry. 4- stage tower: moulded plinth, angle buttresses with offsets and crocketed ogee gablets, continued as diagonal buttresses to upper section of belfry; moulded string courses between stages. First stage: pointed moulded door with crocketed ogee hoodmould with head stops and pair of blank shields in relief above. Second stage: trefoiled ogee niches to buttresses with brattished corbels and octapartite ribbed canopies with crocketed ogee hoods; pointed 4-light west window with Perpendicular tracery, moulded transom, and ogee hoodmould, continued as string course, supporting a niche containing a worn seated figure holding a shield, the niche with carved paterae to the corbel, sexpartite ribbed canopy, moulded arch with carved spandrels, moulded string course and tall crocketed pinnacle. Third stage: ogee-headed slit lights to north and south, clock faces to each side. Fourth stage: twin pointed 3-light Perpendicular-traceried belfry openings with continuous hoodmoulds and central shaft rising between windows to moulded string course. Gargoyles to angles (apart from south-west), coped parapet with chamfered round-headed openings, 8 crocketed pinnacles (that to south-west restored) with ogee gablets to the shafts. South aisle: partly- restored moulded plinth, angle buttresses and buttresses between bays with offsets; partly-restored pointed door of 2 orders with hollow chamfers and wave mouldings, small niche above of reset stones with worn finial in relief, shield panel to right; three 4-centred-arched 3-light windows with trefoiled lights and incised spandrels, similar east window, triangular- headed 3-light Perpendicular-traceried west window; moulded string course, coped embattled parapet. South wall incorporates reused masonry, including sections of keeled shaft to first bay, and of moulded arch to second bay. North aisle and north chapel: partly-restored moulded plinth, angle buttresses and buttresses between bays with offsets, moulded sill string course; pointed door of 2 filleted orders with flanking buttress shafts supporting hoodmould; pair of square-headed 2-light windows with trefoiled ogee lights, single similar C19 - C20 three-light window; similar original 3-light west window. Chapel section to east has partly-restored 4-centred- arched traceried north and east windows, small Tudor-arched chamfered north door. Restored string course and coped embattled parapet, rainwater heads dated 1882. Nave clerestory: 4-centred-arched three-light windows with trefoiled lights and incised spandrels; embattled parapet with pierced merlons and continuous ridge coping; restored coped east gable. Chancel: south side has chamfered round-headed door, single lancet, pair of C19 trefoiled lancets and restored Cl5-C16 square-headed 2-light window with trefoiled lights and incised spandrels; C14-C15 pointed 5-light transomed east window with Perpendicular tracery and restored mullions, flanked by C19 pointed chamfered niches; coped gable with cross finial. Interior. North arcade of pointed double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers and responds with plain moulded capitals, water-holding bases and square pedestals. South arcade of pointed double-chamfered arches with inner plain and outer hollow chamfers on short quatrefoil piers with hollow chamfers between the foils, plain moulded capitals and tall plain stepped bases. Tall double hollow-chamfered tower arch with continuous outer chamfer and inner chamfered responds with moulded bases and capitals, the latter bearing rustic-foliate relief carving. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch on responds, with restored moulded capitals and plain moulded bases, restored hoodmould with original head stop to south. Chancel has 2-bay north arcade of pointed double-chamfered arches on an octagonal pier with plain moulded capital and base, and corbelled responds with worn rustic carvings of angels holding shields. Monuments. Series of floorslabs in north aisle, mostly C18 - early C19, including black marble slab to Dame Eleanora Oxenden of 1728 with roundel containing relief carving of hatchment and crest supported by fronds, and another to Raphe Johnson (d1590) and wife Alice (d1610) with marginal inscription and later inscriptions to Burnsall Family. Wall tablets in north aisle: to John Beatson of 1798 with scrolled base and urn; oval tablet to Joseph Whisker of 1819 with inscribed verse and gilded winged angel above; oval tablets to David Burnsall of 1793 and to Robert Young of 1795; to John Ford Acey of 1857 with draped urn, by W D Keyworth of Hull; to Mary Flint Heslewood of 1858 with relief of kneeling mourner, also by Keyworth. In chancel: black marble floorslab to Thomas Helme, Proctor, of 1718 recording bequests; wall tablet to John Stephenson of 1802 with grey marble obelisk; plain tablet to Rev John Dixon of 1828. C15 octagonal font with bold foliate carvings to underside, octagonal shaft and base. Original heavy oak south door, now stored in vestry, has moulded ribs, ogee-headed wicket, wrought-iron strap hinges and box locks. Display case in south aisle contains slightly worn fragments of fine C15 Nottingham alabaster relief carvings, probably originally part of an easter sepulchre or altar- piece, with figures of soldiers, worshippers etc, discovered during the 1880 restorations buried near the pulpit. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, East Riding, 1978, p 327. Victoria County History: York, East Riding, vol 5, 1984, pp 199-200.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.