You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 166673  

Print Page



© Mr Terry Dawson LRPS

IoE Number: 166673
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN ROAD (south side)
  THORGUMBALD, EAST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE, EAST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Terry Dawson LRPS
Date Photographed: 10 October 1999
Date listed: 16 December 1966
Date of last amendment: 16 December 1966
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

THORNGUMBALDMAIN ROADTA 22 NW(south side)Thorngumbald4/26Church of St Mary

THORNGUMBALD MAIN ROAD TA 22 NW (south side) Thorngumbald 4/26 Church of St Mary 16.12.66 - II Parish church. Medieval, with C12 doors to nave and vestry, the latter reset; refenestrated in C15. Upper sections of walls rebuilt in C17 or earlier. C18 restorations and new vestry; tower rebuilt 1758. Restorations of 1858 included replacing C18 tower with bellcote, reflooring, reseating, reroofing. C20 brick repairs to south side. Random limestone rubble to lower sections of north, south and east sides with C17-C18 brick above; coursed rubble and squared limestone to west side; Cl8-C19 brick gables; limestone ashlar dressings, banded slate roof. Vestry in brown brick with pantile roof. 4-bay nave/chancel occupies nave of former church, with north and south doors, west bellcote, and vestry adjoining south side of chancel. Buttresses with offsets to north, south and east sides. North side: C19 pointed double-chamfered door with hoodmould; pair of restored pointed 2- light traceried windows. South side: blocked C12 round-headed chamfered door with plain chamfered imposts and hoodmould; 3 traceried windows similar to north. C19 pointed 3-light traceried east window. C19 cinquefoiled west lancet with carved keystone beneath pointed arch recess in corbelled lower section of bellcote with coped gable, shaped kneelers and finial. Vestry has tumbled-in brick to raised gable with later end stack. Interior. Nave open to chancel. Reset C12 round-headed chamfered door to vestry with plain chamfered imposts and hoodmould with nailhead moulding. Fielded-panel dado to sanctuary, perhaps reused sections of former C18 box pews; plain panelling to remainder. C19 roof. C12 cylindrical tub font on later octagonal shaft and base. Royal Arms of 1858. Painting of church before 1858 restoration hanging in nave. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, East Riding, 1972, p 355; Victoria County History: York, East Riding, vol 5, 1984, p 126.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.