You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 166717  

Print Page



© Mr Les Waby

IoE Number: 166717
Location: CHURCH OF ST ALBAN, CHURCH LANE (north side)
  WITHERNWICK, EAST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE, EAST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Les Waby
Date Photographed: 03 March 2007
Date listed: 16 December 1966
Date of last amendment: 16 December 1966
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WITHERNWICKCHURCH LANETA 14 SE(north side)3/41Church of St Alban16.12.66

WITHERNWICK CHURCH LANE TA 14 SE (north side) 3/41 Church of St Alban 16.12.66 - II Church. 1855 incorporating fragments of medieval decorative material. By Mallinson and Healey. Banded pebble and reddish-brown brick with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof. Gothic Revival style with recticulated-type tracery throughout. 4-bay nave with south aisle, south porch and north vestry, 2-bay chancel. West end has buttresses with offsets. Large 3-light pointed window in double-chamfered surround under hoodmould with face stops and brick relieving arch. To west end of aisle an ogeed lancet in double- chamfered surround. Nave has end buttresses with offsets. South aisle: to second bay gabled south porch has pointed-arched, double-chamfered opening with hollow-and-roll moulding to head under hoodmould with reused medieval face stops. Within a pointed, studded double plank door in moulded surround. Stone coping to gable. To first bay a 2-light window otherwise 3-light windows, all in double-chamfered, 4-centred surrounds. North side has buttresses with offsets. To 2 westernmost bays are 2-light pointed windows in double-chamfered surrounds under hoodmoulds. Otherwise vestry has plank door in ogeed surround; to east end a 2-light pointed window in double-chamfered surround. Nave has ashlar copings, and twin-light, gabled bell turret to east apex. Chancel has buttresses with offsets. To south side a plank priest's door in ogeed surround otherwise 2-light, pointed windows in double-chamfered surrounds. East end has similar 3-light window under hoodmould with reused face stops. Ashlar copings. Cross at apex. Interior. 4-bay arcade of double-chamfered pointed arches on octagonal piers with moulded capitals and bases. Double-chamfered, pointed chancel arch, octagonal responds, moulded capitals and bases. C19 octagonal font on shaft. Neoclassical wall tablet, to Matthew Topham d 1823. Fragments of medieval zigzag in the outer north side wall towards west end and to south porch. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, York and The East Riding, 1978, p 372.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.