You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 166787  

Print Page



© Mr Les Waby

IoE Number: 166787
Location: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, HIGH STREET (east side)
  BEMPTON, EAST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE, EAST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Les Waby
Date Photographed: 23 November 2002
Date listed: 30 June 1966
Date of last amendment: 30 June 1966
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TA 17 SEBEMPTONCHURCH LANE(east side)6/14Church of St Michael30.6.66

TA 17 SE BEMPTON CHURCH LANE (east side) 6/14 Church of St Michael 30.6.66 GV II * Church. Early C13 nave arcades, C14 west tower, chancel 1829, C19 south porch. Major restorations 1870, 1906. Ashlar, brick chancel partly pebble dashed, slate roofs. 2-bay chancel, 4-bay aisled nave, south porch, and west tower. Chancel south wall has 2 windows of 3 round- headed lights under square head, round-headed south door between with datestone 1829 over. Plain 3-light square-headed window with mullions in north wall. 5-light east window with 3 round-headed lights above, under pointed arch with hood-mould. Nave windows have C19 cusped tracery. South clerestory has circular windows with cusped cross- tracery: on the north side, 2-light windows under flat heads. West tower of 2 plain lower stages and octagonal belfry stage, separated by stringcourses. 2-light belfry openings with Curvilinear tracery under battlemented parapet. West window of 2 trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil over. Interior has timber chancel screen of about 1829: 4 square-section fluted columns carrying elliptical arches with keyblocks; panelling above incorporates Royal Arms. Nave arcade of double-chamfered round arches on alternating round and octagonal piers with round and octagonal abaci. Early C13 goblet-shaped font with stiff-leaf ornament to base. 2 bells, 1 of c.1361.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.