You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 167806  

Print Page



© Mr Les Waby

IoE Number: 167806
Location: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH STREET (west side)
  ULROME, EAST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE, EAST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Les Waby
Date Photographed: 06 June 2003
Date listed: 30 June 1966
Date of last amendment: 30 June 1966
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ULROMECHURCH STREETTA 15 NW(west side)Lisset7/51Church of St James

ULROME CHURCH STREET TA 15 NW (west side) Lisset 7/51 Church of St James 30.6.66 GV II Church. c1120 origins with extensive later rebuilding of probably early C14, early-mid C18 and 1876 by Hugh Roumieu Gough for John Dent. Pebbledashed brick, the west and east ends partly exposed to reveal pinkish- red narrow brick in irregular English bond and pebbles, and with ashlar dressings. Plain tile roof. 2-bay nave with south porch and lower, narrower 2-bay chancel. West end has C14 2-ogeed-light window, partly recut. Nave south side. End buttresses with offsets. Ashlar plinth. Wooden south porch to first bay. Within a round-arched Norman doorway: plain jambs have capitals with ball moulding, supporting round arch fretted with lozenges and zigzag moulding, within a C19 plank door. Eroded shield or mask above. C19 2-ogeed-light window. North side has similar single light window. Moulded kneelers, ashlar copings, bell turret to east end of nave with 2 round arches. Chancel, south side: plinth. 2 single trefoil lights, that to left is C19, that to right is C14, partly recut, both with quoined jambs. 2-course eaves band. North side: plinth, 2-course eaves band. Moulded kneelers, copings, cross at apex. East end has chamfered plinth. C14 3-stepped-ogeed-light window, partly recut. Plain interior. Pointed C19 chamfered chancel arch on moulded corbels. To east wall a Norman column with chevron-moulded capital and with wish-bone hood above, set into wall. To south side of chancel a chamfered triangular piscina. 2 plain tablets to Christopher Hildyard, d 1728, and to John Dawson, d 1801. Bell turret houses the earliest dated bell in Great Britain of 1254, inscribed "WCC/- IIII". East window has stained glass by Kempe. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, York and The East Riding, 1978, p 304. George Poulson, History and Antiquities of Holderness, Hull, 1840, Vol 1, pp 259-60.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.