You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 174909  

Print Page

© Mrs Tina Cutler

IoE Number: 174909
Photographer: Mrs Tina Cutler
Date Photographed: 11 January 2003
Date listed: 23 May 1967
Date of last amendment: 14 October 1987
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

YALDINGHIGH STREETTQ 6950(east side)6/111Church of St. Peterand St. Paul

YALDING HIGH STREET TQ 6950 (east side) 6/111 Church of St. Peter and St. Paul (formerly listed 23-5-67 under High Street, North Arm) GV I Parish church. C13, early C14 and C15, restored in C19 and C20. Small blocks of roughly-coursed ragstone and sandstone to tower with later brick repairs. Uncoursed ragstone and sandstone to north and south porches, north and south transepts, east gable of nave and (partly rendered) to north aisle. Chancel rendered. Small blocks of coursed galleted ragstone to south aisle. Plain tile roofs to porches and chancel, slate roofs to nave and transepts, lead roof to north aisle, south aisle not visible. West tower, nave with north and south aisles (north aisle continuing to west end of tower), north and south porches, north and south transepts, chancel only slightly narrower than nave. West tower: C13. No plinth. No external delineation of stages, except fragments of a stone string course between probable bottom and central stages, on south side of tower and stair turret. Short C14 or C15 south- west angle buttresses. Plain renewed coursed and galleted stone parapet. Two lancets with later brick dressings to each face of belfry except east. Blocked pointed-arched stone lancet to centre of north face about half way up, and another, with brick dressings, to south. Blocked lancet half way up west face set towards north side and probably one of a pair. Central lancet with brick dressings above west door. Narrow pointed-arched chamfered stone lancet towards base on south side, to east of centre. Moulded pointed- arched stone west doorway with broach stops and hoodmould. Chamfered pointed-arched stone stoup to south of doorway. Circular C13 south-east stair turret rising above tower parapet, with moulded stone cornice, and leaded onion dome with weathervane dated 1734. South aisle: early C14, probably re-faced at a later date. Chamfered stone plinth and low chamfered stone string-course. Lean-to roof with shaped sprockets. South-west angle buttresses. C14 west window with moulded jambs, two trefoil-headed lights, encircled cinquefoil, and scroll-moulded hoodmould with shaped label stops. Two restored C15 three-light pointed-arched traceried south windows, flanking porch. South porch: C14. No plinth. Pebbledashed gable. No side lights. Pointed-arched outer doorway with moulded head dying into broad plain-chamfered jambs, and with scroll-moulded hoodmould with label stops. Inner doorway not visible at time of re-survey. South transept: early C14. No plinth. Gabled, with lower eaves than aisle. South-west and south-east angle buttresses. Restored traceried three-light south window with hoodmould. Two restored C14 two-light east windows similar to west window of south aisle, but with moulded mullions and tracery. Nave gable: stone coping with shaped stone kneelers. Small blocked pointed-arched stone window towards apex. Chancel: C13. No plinth. Diagonal north-east and south-east buttresses. Low-set C15 two-light south-west window with moulded jambs, cinquefoil-headed lights and squared moulded hoodmould, and with east jamb of blocked window (probably a lancet) above it. Two tall evenly-spaced pointed south lancets with rendered chamfered stone jambs. Low moulded pointed-arched C14 or C15 stone doorway under the extant west lancet. Three- light traceried, pointed-arched east window with moulded hoodmould. North elevation has high chamfered stone string, interrupted towards east end by C18 memorial tablet, illegible at time of re-survey, with acanthus consoles, lightly-moulded plinth, and eared semi-circular head with moulded cornice. Blocked pointed-arched lancet with plain-chamfered architrave to west of centre, partly cut into by C14 or early C15 two-light window with cinquefoil- headed lights and triangular head. Triangular head of blocked upper rood- loft stair doorway under eaves against north transept wall. North transept: early C14. No plinth. Gabled, with lower eaves than aisle. North-east and north-west angle buttresses. Three-or-four-centred arched head of blocked doorway to base of rood-loft stairs, towards junction with chancel. Stair turret non-extant. Two evenly-spaced early C14 two-light east windows similar to east windows of south transept. Tall three-light north window with three encircled cinquefoils. West elevation unfenestrated, but north aisle appears to cut across part of triangular head of blocked door or window. North aisle: early C14, possibly with C13 origins, and possibly refaced in C15 or later. North-west angle buttresses and one north buttress. Chamfered stone plinth, lower to west of porch. Chamfered stone string- course to east of porch only. Two C15 windows flanking porch, each with three cinquefoil-headed lights, tracery of vertical bars and moulded hood- mould. Two-light early C14 window, similar to that in south aisle, to section of aisle under tower, and another to west gable end. Tower masonry extends short distance into west gable. North porch: C14. Similar to south porch, but with stone gable. Panelled double doors with leaded Gothick fanlight to outer doorway. Moulded pointed-arched inner doorway with bar and cushion stops and scroll-moulded hoodmould. Interior: structure: four-bay C14 north and south arcades to nave, with doubly hollow-chamfered pointed arches and octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases. Similar archway, but with engaged semi-octagonal columns, between each transept and nave, and between nave and chancel. Doubly plain-chamfered pointed tower arch with engaged semi-circular columns with bell capitals and bases. Similar archway, but with different capitals and no base moulding, between base of tower and north aisle. Doubly hollow-chamfered pointed arch dying into walls between transept and aisle on each side. Blocked four-centred-arched hollow-chamfered doorway to base of rood-loft stairs to south-east corner of north transept, and another higher up to north-west corner of chancel. Blocked pointed-arched doorway between north aisle and section of it to north of tower. Keel-moulded rere-arch and deeply undercut hoodmould to each south chancel lancet, the hoodmould ends turned inwards as impost strings and also joined between the lancets. Hollow-chamfered rere arches with hoodmoulds, cushion stops and broach stops, to transept windows. Roof: nave roof boarded in seven cants, section between north and south arches with ribs and small gilded bosses. Latticed section over chancel arch. Four cambered tie-beams. Transept roofs boarded in five cants. Chancel roof with moulded cornice, and with moulded octagonal crown- posts on moulded cambered tie-beams to centre and west end. Aligned butt purlin roofs to aisles, with hollow-chamfered principal rafters, purlins and cornices. Fixtures and fittings: scroll-moulded stone string-courses to east walls and gable ends of transepts. Moulded early C14 ogee-headed niche with cushion stops, above string course to east wall of south transept. Moulded round-headed niche with cinquefoiled soffit, squared hoodmould, and roses to spandrels, and trefoiled hollow-chamfered niche with hoodmould, to same wall. Moulded pointed-arched piscina to east end of south wall of transept, with trefoiled soffit, small stone shelf in rear wall, and incised trefoil to stonework above. Plain-chamfered triangular-headed stone doorway to tower stair turret. Quarry-tile floor with patterned border, to length of centre of nave. Benefactors boards to tower base. Monuments: memorial on south wall of nave at east end to Jane Akers, d.1804; oval inscription panel on rectangular black marble ground, with white marble cornice, and obelisk bearing relief of angel carrying child. Signed H. Rouw. Chest- tomb to south end of south transept; chest panelled with pointed trefoil- headed arches, half recessed under broad rounded arch with split cusping, squared spandrels with shields, and one upright of a panelled outer architrave with demi-figure to base. Tablet on south wall of chancel to Richard Warde, d. 1781(?); white marble inscription panel with consoled plinth,rounded head, ogee shoulders and raised shield towards top, set on round-headed grey marble back plate with festooned urn above inscription panel, and palm fronds to shaped base plate. Monument on north wall of chancel to Ambrose Warde, d.1637; probably erected after 1656. Grey and white marble and alabaster. Full figures of kneeling man and wife, outwardly inclined, with slanted shield behind each, and another above them to centre, all set within festooned round-headed recess flanked by corinthian. columns. Moulded frieze with raised central panel and cherub's heads. Moulded cornice with obelisk finials, and segmental pediment surmounted by plinth bearing achievements. Children in bold relief to panel below parents, with consoled plinth and inscription panels below them. Cartouche to east pier of north transept, to John Ousnam, d. 1703; draped, surmounted by achievements, and with two cherubs' heads and skull to base. Tablet on north wall of nave to Robert Kenward (d.1720) and Martha (d. 1761); erected 1762. Eared white marble tablet with black consoles, shaped brown marble base plate, and moulded cornice with brown obelisk bearing achievements. Tablet on north wall of nave to William Aretas Akers, d. 1862; rectangular marble panel, moulded consoles and cornice, and canted top plate with coloured arm bearing standard. Tablet on north wall of nave to Aretas Akers (d.1816), and members of family (d. 1842 ).proud tapering side-pieces, draped urn above, small acanthus consoles, and shaped base plate with coloured coat of arms and motto in an oval. South-west chancel window engraved with memorial to Edmund Blunden. (J. Newman, Buildings of England Series, West Kent and the Weald, 1980).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.