You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 177314  

Print Page



© Mr Ian Hill

IoE Number: 177314
Location: THE GUILDHALL, CATTLE MARKET (centre of)
  SANDWICH, DOVER, KENT
Photographer: Mr Ian Hill
Date Photographed: 22 January 2005
Date listed: 19 May 1950
Date of last amendment: 19 May 1950
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

1.5275CATTLE MARKET(Centre)The Guildhall

1. 5275 CATTLE MARKET (Centre) The Guildhall TR 3258 1/76 19.5.50. II* 2. Built in 1579. In 1812 it was encased in yellow brick. In 1912 it was restored and the south-west wing added. Still further enlarged in 1933 and an addition built in 1973 at right angles across the square. Nothing before the 1812 encasement is now visible from the exterior, of brick and imitation timbering, but the interior contains much of the original work, particularly the panelling of the Court Room which dates from 1607 and paintings forming part of the Council Chamber walls depicting the battle of the "Glorious 1st of June".

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.