© Mr Brian Didmon
FISHER GATE, THE QUAY (south side)
SANDWICH, DOVER, KENT
Mr Brian Didmon
18 January 2003
29 April 1970
Date of last amendment:
29 April 1970
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
5275 THE QUAY
TR 3358 1/183 29.4.70.
Scheduled as an A.M. The only surviving one of the original mediaeval town
gates of Sandwich. The lower portions date from about 1384. The upper portions
added in 1578. It consists of a gateway with a 3 storeyed building over. Pointed
stone arches set in a square arch of which the spandrels are faced with squared
flints. The building is mostly of squared flints in the lower portions, with
stone quoins but some stone rubble is incorporated in the ground floor. The
top floors are mostly of brick. Stone string- course above 1st floor. Below
this buttresses project sideways. Restored 3 light window with dripstone over
on the 1st floor. blocked loop lights flanking this window. Modern windows
on the 2nd and 3rd floors. Brick gable surmounting the top floor. Portcullis
groove in centre arch.
The whole area of buildings or walls facing the Quay with Nos 3 and 5 Upper Strand
Street form a group.