© Mr Brian Didmon
ST MARY'S CHURCH, STRAND STREET (south side)
SANDWICH, DOVER, KENT
Mr Brian Didmon
04 March 2003
19 May 1950
Date of last amendment:
19 May 1950
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
5275 STRAND STREET
St Mary's Church
TR 3258 1/47 19.5.50.
According to tradition, a convent was founded here by Domneva, cousin to King
Egbert of Kent, 664-673, but was destroyed in a Danish invasion and rebuilt
by Queen Emma, wife of King Canute. Nothing remains from these times except
a few sections of walling beneath the present floor. The Norman church which
took its place was considerably altered during the C13, C14 and C15 and greatly
damaged by an earthquake in 1579. The central tower finally fell in 1668 bringing
down the greater part of the fabric with it. It was reconstructed using the
outer walls and a new arcade upon the north side in timber upon the old foundations
supports the enormous timber trusses, reminiscent of the churches of the Low
Countries, and a plaque dated 1671 records the fact. There is a fine mid C18
reredos and altar rails. There are several memorials of note.