You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 177813  

Print Page



© Mr George D. Russell

IoE Number: 177813
Location: ST EDMUNDS CHAPEL, PRIORY STREET (north east side)
  DOVER, DOVER, KENT
Photographer: Mr George D. Russell
Date Photographed: 27 January 2003
Date listed: 17 December 1973
Date of last amendment: 17 December 1973
Grade A

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

DOVER 685/2/27A PRIORY STREET 17-DEC-73 (Northeast side) ST EDMUNDS CHAPEL GV II* Dates from the Cl2. This was originally the Chapel of the Cemetery of the Poor, attached to the Maison Dieu and used as a pilgrims' chapel. It was dedicated to St Edmund of Canterbury. 1 storey flint-faced. The interior has a restored king-post roof with some tie-beams reused from another Mediaeval building. 2 lancets. In 1544 the chapel was dissolved and the building had varied uses including a victualling store for the Navy, a store room and a forge. It has recently been restored for ecclesiastical purposes.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.