© Mr Russell Marsh
ROLVENDEN, ASHFORD, KENT
Mr Russell Marsh
23 March 2003
04 June 1952
Date of last amendment:
04 June 1952
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ROLVENDEN MAYTHAM ROAD
TQ 8430 19/318 4.6.52.
This was the original name of the Manor but in 1721 James Monypenny built
a house here which he called Maytham Hall. This was completed by his son
Robert Monypenny in 1760 but was largely burned down in 1893. This house
consisted of a main block of 2 storeys and basement and 2 pavilions containing
the laundry and stables. These C18 wings largely survive, but the main building
was rebuilt 2 storeys higher by Sir Edwin Lutyens in 1909-12 for H J Tenant,
who reverted to the use of the original name, Great Maytham. It is built
of grey bricks (all stretchers) with red brick window dressings and quotas.
Hipped tiled roof in 3 sections. Eaves cornice. Segmental headed sash windows
with glazing bars intact. The main building consists of a centre block and
2 wings (in addition to the original C18 flanking pavilions). The central
block has 5 windows and 5 dormers. Cornice above 1st floor. On its north-east
or entrance front it has 3 storeys, attic and semi-basement. The dormers
are surmounted by pediments. Central rusticated stone doorcase at the head
of 8 wide steps with iron handrail, the doorcase having a curved pediment
over containing a cartouche set in swags in the tympanum. The wings are L-shaped
of 2 storeys, attic and semi-basement, and have 5 windows each (plus one window
each to the inner face of the projection) and 3 dormers each without pediments.
Brick aprons below the 1st floor windows. Rusticated stone doorcases with
keystones over, at the head of 8 steps with iron handrails. The doorcase
of the south-east wing also has a rectangular fanlight. The south-west or
garden front has no basement. The central projection has 7 windows and 5
pedimented dormers. Stone doorcase with Corinthian pilasters, enriched frieze
and curved pediment over containing a cartouche. On each side of the central
projection are recessed portions of 3 windows and 2 dormers each, and then
projections of 2 windows and one dormer each with chimney breasts in the angles
of both Ls.
On each side a passage at semi-basement level connects the Lutyens house with
the original C18 flanking pavilions, the south-east pavilion was built as
the laundry and the north-west pavilion as the stables. Each are of 2 storeys
red brick. Hipped tiled roofs. Modillion eaves cornice. Two sashes with
glazing bars intact. Round window in the centre of the north-west pavilion.