You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 183243  

Print Page



© Mr David Cross

IoE Number: 183243
Location: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW,
  GISBURN FOREST, RIBBLE VALLEY, LANCASHIRE
Photographer: Mr David Cross
Date Photographed: 15 October 2003
Date listed: 16 November 1954
Date of last amendment: 16 November 1954
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

GISBURN FORESTTOSSIDESD 75 NE2/71Church of St. Bartholomew16.11.1954

GISBURN FOREST TOSSIDE SD 75 NE 2/71 Church of St. Bartholomew 16.11.1954 GV II Parish church, formerly Houghton Chapel. Mid-to-late C18th, restored 1873. Squared watershot sandstone with stone slate roof. Comprises a nave and chancel under a continuous roof and a south porch. The south wall has projecting quoins and has 3 bays to the right of the porch and one to the left. The windows have projecting plain stone surrounds with semi-circular heads. The porch is gabled with a coping and cross finial and with clasping pilasters. The outer and inner doors have plain stone surrounds with semi-circular heads, projecting imposts, and projecting stepped keystones. The church gables have copings, the eastern one having a cross finial, the western one having an open stone bellcote, probably of 1873, of square section broached to a small stone spire with cross. The north wall is of 2 bays having windows with plain stone surrounds and semi-circular heads. The east wall has a Venetian window with plain stone surround and square mullions. Inside are 4 boxed kingpost trusses. The octagonal sandstone font is inscribed '...(K)NOW THAT ALL CHILDREN BAPTISED HEARE GOD GAVE THEM GOOD LIVES TO LEAD THE ETERNAL GOD TO FEARE. 1619 RF'.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.