You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 183517  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 183517
Location: OXENDALE HALL,
  OSBALDESTON, RIBBLE VALLEY, LANCASHIRE
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 27 August 1952
Date of last amendment: 27 August 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

OSBALDESTONSD 63 SE5/32Oxendale Hall27-8-1952GVII*

OSBALDESTON SD 63 SE 5/32 Oxendale Hall 27-8-1952 GV II* House, 1656. Sandstone rubble.with stone slate roof. 2 storeys with attic. Facade has cross-wing at left, and a bay with gabled attic dormer on each side of a porch of 2 storeys with attic. Windows mullioned with ovolo moulding and chamfer, with hoods. Much of the stonework of the windows has been renewed, and some of the sills have been lowered. The cross-wing has a 6-light window on the ground floor, one of 5 lights above, and a 3-light attic window. The bay to the left of the porch has windows with a similar number of lights. To the right the windows are of 4 lights to the ground and 1st floors and 3 lights to the attic. The porch has 3-light windows on the 1st floor and to the attic. The door has a worn moulded stone surround with segmental head and lintel inscribed: '1656 LRO'. Gables coped with kneelers and finials. Chimneys at left, to right of porch, and on right-hand gable. Quoins of right-hand gable wall appear to have been replaced. Inside, the door opens against a firehood baffle. In the room to the left of the porch the firehood bressumer remains, as do 2 ovolo-moulded axial main beams. The cross-wing is divided by a wall of timber and wattle-and-daub and is entered by 2 timber doorways. On the 1st floor of the cross-wing is a blocked moulded stone fireplace with a plaster overmantel with plant decoration and various motifs including deer and flowers. In the centre it has the inscription: '1657 LRO'. A 1st floor window at the rear of the house includes a diamond pane painted with the inscription: 'LOR 1658'. This appears to be genuine.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.