You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 184438  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Sargeant

IoE Number: 184438
Location: RIVINGTON HALL, RIVINGTON LANE (off)
  RIVINGTON, CHORLEY, LANCASHIRE
Photographer: Mr Peter Sargeant
Date Photographed: 29 January 2004
Date listed: 22 October 1952
Date of last amendment: 22 October 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

RIVINGTONRIVINGTON LANE (off)SD 61 SW14/185Rivington Hall22.10.52GVII*

RIVINGTON RIVINGTON LANE (off) SD 61 SW 14/185 Rivington Hall 22.10.52 GV II* Manor house, now premises of North West Water Authority. Various builds, dated 1694 over rear door, 1700 on rear wing, and 1774 on rainwater heads of front range, with other alterations and additions: all these being successors to a timber-framed courtyard house built in late C15. Oldest surviving parts to rear are of coursed thin sandstone rubble with quoins, the upper floors of watershot coursed squared sandstone; and the front range of 1774, together with the front of a late-C19 extension to the rear east corner of this, of brick with stone dressings; all with slate roofs. Now U-plan facing south-west, the front range being a double-pile addition to the earlier building round the rear courtyard. Front range is 2-storeys in classical style, symmetrical, 5 bays with pedimented centre; stone plinth, band, moulded cornice, parapet concealing 2-span roof with gable chimneys; central doorway and side lights in pedimented stone architrave up 4 steps, four 15-pane sashed windows at ground floor and five 12-pane sashes at 1st floor, all with splayed stone heads; similar windows in return walls, some blind, rainwater heads dated 1774; prominent late C19 wing with 2-storey canted bay. Rear: rear doorway with moulded surround and lintel lettered in relief "16 W B 94", single-light restored window to left of this, and further left a 6-light window with cavetto mullions and hoodmould, at 1st floor two 2-light casements in remains of former mullioned windows; above this an added storey in watershot masonry finished in brick; north-west wing similarly raised has on this side a blocked 4-light mullioned window under a hoodmould projected to the angle of junction, at 1st floor 3 windows of C16 type with round-headed lights, hollowed spandrels and chamfered flush mullions (2,2, and one light), between the 2nd and 3rd a carved datestone lettered B ; quoins and a W M 1700 kneeler at the corner, and continued in this line a single-bay low 2-storey addition with a doorway at the junction, a 3-light chamfered flush mullion window on each floor, quoins, and large brick gable chimney: other side of this wing has inter alia the returned ends of a hoodmould and jambs of a former mullioned window broken by a large inserted window, and 2 blocked 2-light windows above. Interior altered, but ground floor of rear has chamfered and hacked beams, and front range has a stairwell with Adam-style decoration in the lantern. Reference: VCH Lancs V pp.286-291.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.