You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 184441  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 184441
Location: UNITARIAN CHAPEL, SHEEP HOUSE LANE
  RIVINGTON, CHORLEY, LANCASHIRE
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 17 April 1967
Date of last amendment: 17 April 1967
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

RIVINGTONSHEEP HOUSE LANESD 61 SW14/188Unitarian Chapel17.4.67-II*

RIVINGTON SHEEP HOUSE LANE SD 61 SW 14/188 Unitarian Chapel 17.4.67 - II* Unitarian chapel. Dated 1703. Squared sandstone with quoins, chamfered plinth, stone slate roof with gable bellcote. Both sides and both gables have 2 large cross-windows with small panes, the panes diamond-latticed in the gable walls and rectangular in the side walls; flanking the windows on the south side are 2 doorways with chamfered surrounds, that on the right with a pointed head and lintel inscribed "1703". On the west gable is a small hexagonal bellcote with a swept roof. Attached at the north west corner is a single-bay 2 storey wing with roof hipped down to the junction but gabled at the other end, with a tall chimney stack; this part has a door and one window on each floor of the west side and two 2-light square- mullioned windows on the east side, mostly with diamond lattice glazing. Interior: original box pews including choir stall at east end; between windows on north wall a raised 5-sided panelled pulpit with carved frieze and moulded cornice, and further east on the same wall a very large C18 wall monument to the Willoughby family of Parham, very fully lettered and with coats of arms and shields on the panel above the lettering; between windows on south side, Willoughby family pew with panelled reredos and very prominent moulded and carved cornice in classical style. NB: in graveyard at east end of chapel is the gravestone of Samuel Oldknow "of Nottingham, late of Anderton" ob 1759, one of the earliest textile factory builders. (See also Roscoe Lowe Farmhouse, Anderton CP).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.