You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 187010  

Print Page



© Mr Roger Ashley

IoE Number: 187010
Location: FORMER CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW,
  NORMANTON, RUTLAND, RUTLAND
Photographer: Mr Roger Ashley
Date Photographed: 21 March 2004
Date listed: 14 June 1954
Date of last amendment: 14 June 1954
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

NORMANTONSK 90 NW3/170Former Church of St. Matthew

NORMANTON SK 90 NW 3/170 Former Church of St. Matthew 14.6.54 II Former church. 1826-9 and 1911. By Thomas Cundy, Sen. and Jun., and J.B. Gridley of London. Ashlar and balustraded slate roof. W tower with W portico and nave with apse. Now entirely filled to half-way up previous wall height for the purposes of the reservoir which encircles church. In classical style. Portico, vestibule and tower of 1826-9 with semi-circle of 4 Ionic columns for the portico and 2 piers and 2 further columns in antis either side outside the vestibule. Balustrade above vestibule and tower over. This is open and on circular plan with 4 free-standing Corinthian columns in NE etc. directions, with Corinthian entablature over and sloping roof with pine cone finial: the whole close to the towers at St. John's, Smith Square, Westminster. Nave and apse of 1911, by Gridley, of 3 leaded windows either side. Stone shouldered architraves with chamfered lintels and prominent keystones. Windows framed by order of Ionic pilasters with entablature and balustrade over. Niche on E end. N doorway with 2 leaved door. Inside, the nave cove has 3 arches with decorated coffers and the apse simple plasterwork. Pevsner.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.