You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 188253  

Print Page



© Mr Keith Wise

IoE Number: 188253
Location: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, ORTON LANE (north side)
  TWYCROSS, HINCKLEY AND BOSWORTH, LEICESTERSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Keith Wise
Date Photographed: 26 February 2002
Date listed: 07 November 1966
Date of last amendment: 07 November 1966
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SK 30 NWTWYCROSSORTON LANE (north side)1/116Norton-Juxta-Twycross7.11.66Church of the Holy

SK 30 NW TWYCROSS ORTON LANE (north side) 1/116 Norton-Juxta-Twycross 7.11.66 Church of the Holy Trinity GV II* Church. Early C14 but heavily restored circa 1841. Ashlar; plain tile roofs with stone coped verges. West tower, 4-bay nave, 3-bay chancel with vestry. West tower: 3 stages marked by offsets; angle buttresses, parapet string and crenellated parapet with moulded coping stones to merlons and crenels. Pointed west entrance with wave-moulded surround and old nail studded door. Pointed west window above with Y- tracery and wave-moulded surround. High up above this is a seated figure within a niche with a crocketed canopy. The nave has buttresses at the corners and a corbel course beneath a plain parapet with moulded coping. The south doorway is entirely C19 and has 2 orders of columns with moulded caps, ball flower ornament around the pointed arch, and a hood mould. Blocked north doorway with 2 orders of concave quarter-round mouldings and an ogee-moulded hood. North and south windows of 2 lights with Decorated tracery. Chancel: buttresses at the bay divisions; south door with 2-centred drop arch and a double ogee-moulded surround, though this latter is probably a misinterpretation of the original moulding, parts of which survive in a decayed state. 2-light side windows and 4-light east window, all with flowing tracery and wave-moulded surrounds. Interior: High pointed chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders without capitals; similar tower arch, the lower part now blocked and plastered over. Arch-braced hammer-beam roof over nave and arch-braced collar roof over chancel. Fixtures and fittings: The upper part of the tower arch remains open and gives access to an early C19 west gallery within which is a Gothic style barrel organ, built in 1819 by James Butler. C19 stone front with quatrefoil section pedestal surrounded by a series of detached shafts supporting a circular basin with arcaded sides incorporating blank shields. Full set of C19 box pews with poppy-heads on the bench ends. Hexagonal pulpit contemporary with the pews. C19 choir stalls also with poppy heads. In the chancel are sedilia with cinquefoil arches and a trefoil-headed aumbry. C19 armorial glass by Warrington in the 2 outer lights of the east window, the centre light has the figures of Sts. Mark and Luke. B.O.E. p. 335.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.