You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 189193  

Print Page



© Mr Brian R Vollar LRPS

IoE Number: 189193
Location: BEAUMANOR PARK,
  WOODHOUSE, CHARNWOOD, LEICESTERSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Brian R Vollar LRPS
Date Photographed: 24 September 1999
Date listed: 21 March 1972
Date of last amendment: 15 March 1984
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

83.SK 51 NWWOODHOUSEBEAUMANOR PARK1/137Beaumanor Hall(Previously listed as21.3.72Beaumanor Park)

83. SK 51 NW WOODHOUSE BEAUMANOR PARK 1/137 Beaumanor Hall (Previously listed as 21.3.72 Beaumanor Park) GV II* Mansion of 1842-53.By William Railton for W. Perry Herrick. Red brick in Jacobean style of highest quality workmanship outside and in. Stone dressings, plinth, band,frieze and dentilled cornice, and parapet coping. Carved and pierced stone balustrade panels in part as well as urns between stone coped Dutch gables. Plain tile roof and tall brick stacks in clusters of several flues with partly carved stone bases, banding and tops. 2 storeys and attic of mullion and transom sash windows with stone surrounds and architraves. Symmetrical entrance front of 3 large gables, the central projecting slightly. Here a round-arched doorway with rusticated stone surround. The keystone is the pendant of half-round stone oriel window above. A 3-light both floors either side and a 5-light with 4-light above in side gables. A 2-light in attics. 5 stone steps lead up to pair of richly carved oak doors. Subsidiary range to right of 3½ storeys. Similar 2, 3 and 4-light windows, door and 3 Dutch gables. The avenue front to left of 5 windows; the central a 2 storey square bay of 5-light below, 4 above with single side lights. A 2-light either side, lower left blocked, and either end canted 2 storey bays of 4-lights and side lights. Strapwork stone carving over bays and central gable richly carved with caryatids, volutes, etc. A gable with 2-light either side and pierced balustrading in between. Garden front to rear has flight of stone steps with elaborately carved stone urn either side leading up to central round arched doorway with side lights and oriel over. The gable to left has a 2-light either side of a 2 storey canted 4-light bay with side lights. Gable to right has similar bay only. Carved tops to bays and pierced balustrade between gables with 2-lights. Lower subsidiary range to left of 2 storeys with basement and attic of 2, 3 and 4-light similar windows and 4 gables. Courtyard front to right of entrance of 3 storeys, 4 8/8 sashes and large mullion and transom window to right and doors. Small interior court in centre of house with similar windows. Interior: entrance vestibule with richly carved stone fireplace displaying Herrick arms amidstrapwork overmantle. Carved oak panelled ceiling, frieze, dado and door and window surrounds. Beyond a magnificent 2 storey staircase hall with Imperial staircase. Richly carved oak balustrading continues round gallery on 3 sides. Above an elaborately panelled ceiling dated 1853 with strapwork and pendants. At the head of first flight of stairs a large contemporary window of 7 x 3 lights of stained and painted armorial glass by Warrington of London. Between hall and garden front vestibule a richly carved stone arch. Facing the avenue and garden fronts a series of reception rooms with rich strapwork ceilings and friezes, carved oak door and window surrounds, marble fireplaces, walnut bookcases in one room, carved pelmets in another. Similar simpler decoration on first floor but here a room, with carved oak fireplace, strapwork ceiling and stained glass in window, designed for bed thought to be associated with Richard III. The mansion was the seat of the Herrick family for 300 years from 1595, the previous building dating from C13 having been visited by Richard II and home of the Duchess of Suffolk, mother of Lady Jane Grey. The avenue or S. front closely resembles a drawing of the S. front as refaced c1615 by Sir William Herrick and it is almost certain that Railton was 'recreating' this house demolished in 1726. It is his only complete country house design to remain unaltered. Beaumanor, which is the estate house for Woodhouse, is an important landmark. Railton also designed nearby Church of St. Paul, Woodhouse Eaves, (listed separately). Drinkall P., A Brief History of Beaumanor Hall and Park, Leicester, 1978.Colvin.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.