You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 189212  

Print Page



© Mr Brian R Vollar LRPS

IoE Number: 189212
Location: CHURCH OF ST PAUL, CHURCH HILL (west side)
  WOODHOUSE, CHARNWOOD, LEICESTERSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Brian R Vollar LRPS
Date Photographed: 08 October 1999
Date listed: 15 March 1984
Date of last amendment: 15 March 1984
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WOODHOUSECHURCH HILL (West Side)SK 51 SW3/156WOODHOUSE EAVESChurch of St. Paul

WOODHOUSE CHURCH HILL (West Side) SK 51 SW 3/156 WOODHOUSE EAVES Church of St. Paul GV II* Church of 1837 and 1880. By W. Railton with transepts and other minor alterations by Ewan Christian. Granite and slate rubble stone and dressed stone with Swithland slate roof and stone coped gables with kneelers. W. tower and door, nave, transepts and chancel with S.W. and S.E. vestries. In lancet style with plinth, stepped buttresses and hood moulds with foliage label stops. W. tower of 3 stages. Some rebuilding 1903. W. door with double chamfered arch, double lancet above with C19 stained glass. Metal clock dial over and triple lancet bell- openings on each face with parapet and pinnacles. 2 blank lancet slits on N. and S. faces and further clock dial on N. face. Inside, between tower and nave,door with glazed iron grille at 1st stage level. Nave has 3 lancets either side with late C19 and early C20 stained glass. Roof of 5 bays of false hammer-beam collar-truss type on battlemented stone corbels. N. and S. transept 2 bay arcades with double chamfered arches on circular piers. 4 lancets and small W. door to N. and 3 lancets to S. with openwork timber roofs. Stained glass of c1880. Moulded chancel arch with hood mould and label stops. Either side of arch supported by small marble column on fluted corbel. 2 lancets to N.side of chancel & 1 to S. with organ arch. Stained glass of late C19 and early C20. E. window of 3 coupled lancets, centre taller, with marble columns and foliage capitals. Fine C19 stained glass. Wagon roof and 6-light brass chandelier. Coloured floor tiles probably Minton in chancel and head of nave. Contemporary font, carved pulpit, brass lectern and pews. S.W. vestry with gabled roof, S.E. of 1910, flat roofed with parapet. Fine prominent position on rocky outcrop.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.