You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 189901  

Print Page



© Mr Brian Arnold

IoE Number: 189901
Location: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH WALK (north side)
  TWYFORD AND THORPE, MELTON, LEICESTERSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Brian Arnold
Date Photographed: 07 December 2005
Date listed: 01 January 1968
Date of last amendment: 01 January 1968
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SK 71 SWTWYFORD AND THORPE CHURCH WALKThorpe Satchville(north side)9/144

SK 71 SW TWYFORD AND THORPE CHURCH WALK Thorpe Satchville (north side) 9/144 1.1.68 Church of St. Michael II Parish church. Late C15. Chancel rebuilt c.1840. Restored and refitted 1861 by H. Goddard. Restored and north transept, bellcote and porch added 1869 by R. W. Johnson. Coursed and squared ironstone and limestone ashlar with ashlar dressings and Swithland slate roofs. Plinth, coped gables, coped and gabled lateral stack. Nave and chancel under continuous roof, north transept, south porch. West end has a large central buttress flanked by single corner buttresses. Above, a moulded gabled single bell turret with cross. South side has to the east a buttress flanked by single late C15 plain double lancets with flat heads. Beyond, to west of the porch, a C19 double lancet with flat head. North side has an off-centre buttress flanked on each side by a late C15 plain double lancet with flat heads. Chancel east end has a Decorated triple lancet with hood mould and stops, 1861. North transept has coped east gable with cross and 2 flanking buttresses and a Geometrical triple lancet with hood mould and mask stops. West side has a late C15 plain double lancet with flat head. East side has a restored roll moulded C14 doorway. South porch has 2 flanking buttresses and gable with cross. Double chamfered and rebated doorway with hood mould and stops and a pair of wooden gates. In each side, a single chamfered lancet. Porch interior has common rafter roof. South doorway, late C15, has moulded elliptical head and restored hood mould. Church interior has C19 roofs with arch braces on corbels and moulded double purlins. Chancel north side has to east a C19 aumbry. East end has a stained glass window, 1890, by Winfield. Fittings of 1861 include octagonal oak pulpit, stalls with poppyheads, roll top benches, 2 prayer desks and low chancel screen. C15 style octagonal font, C19, with panelled bowl. Monuments include wooden war memorial plaque and roll of honour, 1919, and 2 C20 brasses.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.