You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 190013  

Print Page



© Mr Malcolm Sales ARPS ABIPP

IoE Number: 190013
Location: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH HILL (south side)
  BELVOIR, MELTON, LEICESTERSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Malcolm Sales ARPS ABIPP
Date Photographed: 06 May 2001
Date listed: 01 January 1968
Date of last amendment: 01 January 1968
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SK 8231-8331BELVOIRCHURCH HILL(South end)Knipton44/219Church of All Saints

SK 8231-8331 BELVOIR CHURCH HILL (South end) Knipton 44/219 Church of All Saints 1.1.68 GV II* Parish church. C13 west tower and chancel, mid C14 nave and north aisle, south aisle 1869 by W. Thompson of Grantham. Another restoration 1845-46. Ironstone with limestone dressings. Nave roof of copper (1965), rest of lead. 4 stage tower with clasping buttresses. Flat subsidiary buttresses to ground stage to north, south and, through 2 stages, to west. In middle of west buttress a lancet. 2 C19 lancets flank south buttress. Lancets to ringing chamber and late C14 limestone belfry stage: 2-light C19 windows. Side buttresses to aisles. South porch is gabled. North aisle windows are of 2 lights, with trefoil heads and encircled quatrefoil vesicas. North aisle extends to east end of chancel with a 3-light east window. 2 and 3- light south aisle windows. 4-light Perpendicular chancel east window. Interior. 3-bay arcade on lozenge piers: sunk quadrant mouldings to north and south and engaged shafts east and west, with capitals. Double chamfered arches. South arcade 1869. Triple chamfered tower arch on polygonal responds with polygonal capitals and bases. Octagonal font. Plain stem and bowl with 4 arches and niches. Under bowl are faces and 4- lobed globular ornaments. Double chamfered chancel arch on circular responds with waterholding bases. C19 nave roof of principals on arched braces dropping through wall posts to corbels. Traceried spandrels. Moulded ridge piece and one pair moulded butt purlins. North chancel chapel entered from chancel through semi-circular double chamfered arch. Filleted circular responds on waterholding bases and with undercut drum capitals. Capitals with nailhead decoration. Dog-tooth hood mould. In chapel a C13 trefoiled piscina. C19 chancel roof as nave but without traceried spandrels and with straight braces to corbels. 2 late C15 poppyhead benches and 2 further bench ends without poppyheads. Set into west wall of south porch is an alabaster slab commemorating John Eyre, 1558: incised figure of infant in swaddling clothes with surrounding inscription.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.