You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 190987  

Print Page



© Mr David Foulds

IoE Number: 190987
Location: CHURCH OF ST GILES, MAIN STREET (west side)
  MEDBOURNE, HARBOROUGH, LEICESTERSHIRE
Photographer: Mr David Foulds
Date Photographed: 30 June 2001
Date listed: 07 December 1966
Date of last amendment: 07 December 1966
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

MEDBOURNESP 7993MAIN STREET (West Side)8/84Church of St. Giles

MEDBOURNE SP 7993 MAIN STREET (West Side) 8/84 Church of St. Giles 7/12/66 GV II* Church. C13-C15 with C17 S porch, chancel of 1876 and restored 188O-1. Chancel by Edwin Dolby of Abingdon. Ashlar and coursed rubble stone and Collyweston slate and leaded roofs with stone coped gables and finials. Buttresses with set-offs. W tower, nave, S aisle, N and S transepts, E aisle to S transept, chancel, and S porch. Tower of C13 (lower part) and C15 (upper part) and of 3 stages with setback buttresses, W door, window, SW stair with 1-lights, S 1-light, 4 2-light bell openings, clock faces to E and S, and battlements. Triple chamfered arch to nave,the inner on semi-circular responds. N window, the tracery with mouchettes, and N door. c1300 double chamfered N transept arch with semi-circular responds. 3 bay restored S arcade with circular piers. C19 3 bay polygonal wagon type roof. N transept now vestry/meeting room, probably altered C17, with 3-light stone mullion windows (bases of shafts remain ). Double chamfered chancel arch, the inner on polygonal responds. Chancel has 3 N windows, 2 S windows, sedilia and 2 niches, and E window with Geometric tracery filled with stained glass of 1875. C19 roof similar to nave. Many moulded arch to S transept aisle with keeled responds. S transept of late C13 has 3 bay arcade with chamfered and moulded arches on octagonal piers and above the responds 2 carved figures to N and figure to S. Niche, piscina and triple sedilia. S transept has C19 roof similar to nave, and the transept E aisle a mostly restored C15 roof. Large transept window with restored Curvilinear tracery and N window with C20 stained glass. In S aisle 2 restored Perp windows. Early C14 S doorway with ballflower decoration. C17 S porch with rounded arch and pair of wooden gates. C13 round font with 4 shafts at corners. C19 base and probably C17 octagonal bell-shape wooden cover. In S transept a tomb recess with wide cusped trefoil arch and upper 2/3 of effigy of priest. Fine marble wall monument to Edward Conyers, died 1701. Painted Royal Arms of 1778. V.C.H. Vol V, and Pevsner.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.