You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 192569  

Print Page



©  Patrick Banister LRPS

IoE Number: 192569
Location: HAVERHOLME PRIORY,
  EWERBY AND EVEDON, NORTH KESTEVEN, LINCOLNSHIRE
Photographer: Patrick Banister LRPS
Date Photographed: 05 April 2002
Date listed: 12 October 1988
Date of last amendment: 12 October 1988
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

EWERBY AND EVEDON HAVERHOLME PARKTF 14 NW3/23Haverholme PrioryG.V.II

EWERBY AND EVEDON HAVERHOLME PARK TF 14 NW 3/23 Haverholme Priory G.V. II A fragment only of a ruined country house in the Tudor taste. 1835 by H. E. Kendall. Red brick entirely faced with limestone ashlar, roofs collapsed. A bank of 3 octagonal stacks with roll moulded bases and embattled tops remains. What remains is a 4 bay, 2 storey front having an advanced centre bay with to right a flanking wall terminating in an octagonal tower. Moulded plinth, chamfered and moulded string courses, embattled parapets, slender angle towers to the centrepiece. The principal door has a 4 centred Tudor arched head, moulded surround, leaf and rose decoration to the spandrels. A pair of half glazed doors with Tudoresque glazing bars and blank panelled bases. Above a moulded string course and fretted parapet. Moulded and pointed inner doorway, collapsed quadrupartite ribbed vault in porch, single fixed sidelights. To left a single 2 light window, 4 centred arched heads, moulded transom. To right are 2 single windows and a 2 light window, also a shield bearing the arms of St. Gilbert of Sempringham. To first floor are a pair of 2 light windows above the porch with 3 single light windows to the right. The second storey of the centrepiece contains a further pair of matching 2 light windows. In the 2 upper stages of the right hand tower, single light windows occur in alternating directions and in the inner angle is a taller octagonal stair turret, also embattled. All windows have deeply chamfered rectangular surrounds, moulded Tudor arched heads, sunk spandrels and roll moulded mullions. The rear of the building is entirely of red brick and some straight joints suggest that elements of the house of 1780 may have been reused during the 1835 reconstruction. The interior is much reduced and the floors are collapsed. Fragments only remain of the Tudoresque plasterwork which consisted of full height arched blank panels in the hall. Some shutters remain and the doors and windows have bald roll moulded wooden architraves. In the ground floor chamber of the tower the original dark green painted plaster finish is exposed. This was the site of a Gilbertine priory founded in 1139. A house in the Gothick taste was built here in the 1780s. It was the seat of the Finch Hatton family, Earls of Winchelsea and Nottingham. members of this family are mentioned in the book 'Out of Africa', as is Haverholme itself.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.