You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 194576  

Print Page



© Mr Brian Harris

IoE Number: 194576
Location: CHURCH OF ST. LAWRENCE, CHURCH LANE (south side)
  TALLINGTON, SOUTH KESTEVEN, LINCOLNSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Brian Harris
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 30 October 1968
Date of last amendment: 30 October 1968
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TF 00 NETALLINGTONCHURCH LANE(south side)9/191Church of30.10.68St. Lawrence

TF 00 NE TALLINGTON CHURCH LANE (south side) 9/191 Church of 30.10.68 St. Lawrence G.V. I Parish church. Mid C12, early C13, late C13, C14, C15, spire destroyed 1762, restored 1879. Coursed and squared limestone rubble, ashlar quoins and dressings. Copper, lead and Collyweston slate roofs. Western tower, clerestoried nave, south and north transept, aisles, south porch, chancel. 3 stage C14 tower with clasping angle buttresses, chamfered bell moulded plinth, string courses and battlemented parapets with angle grotesques. The tower is slightly offset to the north. The belfry stage has paired C14 ogee headed lights with trefoil heads and quatrefoil over. In the west wall is a 2 light similar window with hood mould and lion terminals. In the north tower wall is a trefoil headed louvred light. Nave and aisle roofs are roofed in copper. In the west wall of the north aisle is a 2 light C14 window with ogee heads and flat arch. In the north wall is a similar 3 light window and a blocked pointed doorway. The clerestorey is C14 with 2 pairs of small cusped lights. At the east gable of the nave is a C15 single gabled sanctus bellcote. The north transpet has a 3 light C15 window with panel tracery and hood mould. The north wall of the chancel has a blank projection. The east window is C15 of 5 slender lights, with panel tracery, 4 centred arched surround with lion head stops. In the south wall is a segmental headed doorway, a trefoiled low side window and 2 three light windows, one with early C14 cusped lancets, the other with C15 cusped heads. The south transept has a C13 lancet, possibly reset, in the east, and a C14 3 light window with daggers to the head. In the walling are lengths of free stone banding. The clerestory matches that to the north and in the south aisle is a C15 3 light window with cusped heads. On a south aisle south west quoin is an inscription "James Briggs Guardian 1677". The gabled C14 south porch with Collyweston slate roof has a double chamfered outer arch and octagonal reveals. The inenr door is mid C12 with side shafts, cushion capitals, plain tympanum and an arch with an order of chevron, roll moulding and crosses saltire to the hood. The shaft bases also have chevron ornament. The early door has overlapping planks with ledges to rear. Interior. On the north side is a 2 bay early C13 arcade with circular pier, responds and abaci with double chamfered arches. Eastwards ia later C13 double chamfered arch with octagonal responds to the transept which balances a similar one to the south. Also in the south is a triple shafted C13 double chamfered arch to the aisle. Offset C14 continuously moulded tall tower arch of 3 waved orders. In the south aisle is a piscina in square surround and in the east wall a single chamfered pointed arch on corbels. In the south transept is a triangular headed aumbry and in the east wall is a mutilated and blocked C12 arch. The late C13 chancel arch has octagonal responds and a double chamfered arch with above a C19 tiled text. In the chancel north wall is a late C13 double chamfered arch with octagonal east respond and beyond a triangular headed aumbry. In the south wall is an early C13 piscina with stiff leaf shafted reveals. Statue brackets to the east wall. C19 tiled floor. The internal walls which are unplastered show extensive signs of earlier phases and modifications. Fittings. Are all C19 including panelled ashlar pulpit with cusped arches. C15 tower screen, reset in 1879 with central ogee arch and panelled ogee tracery. Plain octagonal C13 font on 4 short octagonal legs with narrow chamfered stem having fine conical cover with C14 crockets, pinnacles and central knop.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.