You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 194665  

Print Page



© Mr James Brown

IoE Number: 194665
Location: MOLECEY'S MILL AND THE GRANARY, STAMFORD ROAD (south side)
  WEST DEEPING, SOUTH KESTEVEN, LINCOLNSHIRE
Photographer: Mr James Brown
Date Photographed: 19 February 2007
Date listed: 21 November 1973
Date of last amendment: 22 June 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TF 1209-1309WEST DEEPINGSTAMFORD ROAD(south side)13/279Molecey's Mill andthe Granary

TF 1209-1309 WEST DEEPING STAMFORD ROAD (south side) 13/279 Molecey's Mill and the Granary 21.11.73 (formerly listed as Molecey House and Mill with Water Wheel). II* Mill, house and granary, now 2 houses. Cl7, 1773 granary with early C19 refronting of mill, and C20 alterations. Late C18 L shaped block with water wheel to rear. Squared limestone rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings, and banded work to sides and granary. Collyweston slate roof with raised stone coped gables. Single gable and ridge stacks. 3 storey and garret, 5 bay front having plain parapet. Off-centre 6 panelled door with traceried fanlight, panelled reveals, moulded architrave with key and impost blocks. Covered by Doric columned portico, tetrastyle, with triglyph frieze and modillioned cornice, low pediment to centre bay only, lead covered, flanked by single tripartite glazing bar sashes. To first and second floor central glazing bar sashes are flanked by single similar windows. To left the mill building has an off-centre C20 panelled door flanked by leaded 2 light casements with to right a similar 3 light window. The upper floors have pairs of 2 light windows. Attached to the left is an advanced and gabled granary block of 3 storeys plus garret. In the ground floor a blocked door is flanked by a 2 light glazing bar casement and upper floors each have a single similar window. All windows have ashlar lintels with keystones. In the gable an ashlar datestone with initials JME and date 1773. 2 bay side front with similar windows. The water wheel chamber to rear has pantile roof with on the ridge a wooden turret. Stick baluster stair with carved string. Early C19 joinery details. Cl7 undershot water wheel modified C19,survives intact and is in working order; it is the only example in Lincolnshire of Poncelot's improved design. Grinding wheels and stones with wooden shaft. Mill retains all floors and beams. Source: N. R. Wright.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.