You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 196933  

Print Page



© Mr Roger H Mockford

IoE Number: 196933
Location: RISEHOLME HALL, RISEHOLME LANE (off)
  RISEHOLME, WEST LINDSEY, LINCOLNSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Roger H Mockford
Date Photographed: 06 December 2002
Date listed: 31 January 1952
Date of last amendment: 31 January 1952
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SK 97 NERISEHOLMEoff RISEHOLME LANE4/62Riseholme Hall(Lindsey College of31.1.52Agriculture )

SK 97 NE RISEHOLME off RISEHOLME LANE 4/62 Riseholme Hall (Lindsey College of 31.1.52 Agriculture ) G.V. II Former country house, now College of Agriculture. Early C18, refaced and extended in 1840 by William Railton in Italianate style, Ashlar and render with hipped slate roofs, 5 tall ashlar stacks, 2 wall and 3 ridge. The 2 storey ashlar main block has a plinth, first floor cill band, balustraded parapet, and rusticated quoins. The entrance front has 7 bays arranged 2:3:2, the central bays being slightly advanced. Before the front is a 3 bay porte-cochere with semi-circular arches with key and impost blocks, flanked by Doric columns in antis; the middle bay also has full Doric columns, all supporting a triglyph frieze and modillioned cornice. The central half glazed panelled door has a plain overlight with to either side 3 tall glazing bar sashes. To the first floor are 7 smaller glazing bar sashes. The central 3 bays at first floor level are divided by rusticated vertical strips and surmounted by a blank parapet with vermiculated panels. To the left is a lower 10 bay rendered service wing. The right hand side front consists of 6 bays of glazing bar sashes. The garden front is also arranged 2:3:2 with the middle 3 bays slightly adanced and bowed. Before the front is a 7 bay loggia supported on Doric columns, the third pairs of which, towards the centre, are in antis. The columns support a deep modillioned cornice with triglyph frieze. The central double glazed doors have an overlight and are flanked by 3 tall glazing bar sashes. To the first floor are 7 smaller glazing bar sashes. All windows have moulded architraves, and, except those beneath the loggia, cornices. To the right of the main block is a lower 3 bay range slightly recessed and rendered. This is the remnant of the early C18 house. It has an off centre C19 half glazed door with side lights and to the right 3 glazing bar sashes with thicker glazing bars and moulded architraves having raised keyblocks. To first floor are 3 smaller similar windows and above is a plain cornice and parapet. Interior. A large rectangular lightwell off the entrance hall with cast iron balcony to first floor, in vertical panels linked by intersecting circles. Above the modillioned cornice is a coved panelled ceiling with decorative pendants marking vertical pilasters which surround a raised rectangular light. The ceiling over has a highly decorative recessed oval panel with doves with laurel leaves in the corners. The stone dog leg staircase has outsize stone balusters and handrail. On the newel post is a wrought iron lampstand. The house was altered for the Bishops of Lincoln's country residence. The C18 house is shown in the Banks Collection, by J. C. Nattes, dated 1803, where the current service wing can be seen to the right of the main house.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.