You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 196935  

Print Page



© Mr Roger H Mockford

IoE Number: 196935
Location: CHURCH OF ST GERMAIN, CHURCH STREET
  SCOTHERN, WEST LINDSEY, LINCOLNSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Roger H Mockford
Date Photographed: 24 June 2002
Date listed: 30 November 1966
Date of last amendment: 30 November 1966
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TF 07 NWSCOTHERNCHURCH STREET5/64Church ofSt. Germain30.11.66

TF 07 NW SCOTHERN CHURCH STREET 5/64 Church of St. Germain 30.11.66 II* Parish church. c.1200, late C13, c.1590, 1796, 1840, 1876 restoration by Kirke of Sleaford, 1904 rebuilding of chancel and vestry. Coursed and squared limestone rubble, with some red brick and ashlar dressings, plain tiled roofs with stone coped gables. Western tower, nave, chancel, north transept and vestry. The tower of c.1591 has 3 stages with plinth, clasping angle buttresses, 2 moulded string courses and embattled parapet with pinnacles and gargoyles. In the belfry stage are paired louvred 2 centred arched lights set in semi-circular headed chamfered openings. To south wall first stage is a semi-circular headed window with double chamfered surround. The west door is a reused C13 double chamfered pointed opening with hood mould and human head label stops. Above is a double chamfered pointed headed window and to second stage an C18 clock in a moulded stone surround. Up the N.E. angle of the tower is a staircase lit by plain vertical lights. The west wall of the north aisle has a Cl9 window with above a square opening to roof space, to the right of which is a reset medieval stone head. The C19 transept, in squared rubble, has a corbelled oversailing eaves course. In the north wall is a 4 light window in C16 style, and in the east wall is a doorway with chamfered surround and cornice. Beyond, the north wall of the north aisle has a C19 2 light window with a trefoil over. The C20 vestry has a single light window with scissor arched head, and a similar window in the east wall. The east wall of the chancel has a 3 light window with derived curvilinear tracery. To south wall are 3 similar windows with beneath a priests' door. The south wall of the nave has 2 C19 2 light windows with trefoils over and a dentillated brick eaves course. Interior. The tower arch c.1200 has massive half engaged circular responds and abaci with reset double chamfered arch. The chancel arch of c.1200, and reset, consists of triple shafts with bases and developed waterleaf capitals supporting an ill fitting double chamfered arch. C20 arch to organ chamber. Nave has a C18 dentillated cornice and a stanchion supporting a lintel over entrance to transept. All fittings including font are C19 or later. On the transept east wall is a painted royal arms dated 1796. By the pulpit is a fine early C13 grave marker with tapering sides and relief cross fleury with petalled pellets between the arms of the cross. The C20 reredos incorporates a possibly earlier painting of the Adoration of the Magi.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.