You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 198747  

Print Page



© Mr R.H. Beeson ARPS

IoE Number: 198747
Location: WORKSHOP RANGE TO SOUTH EAST OF MAIN ENGINE HOUSE CROSSNESS PUMPING STATION, BELVEDERE ROAD
  BEXLEY, BEXLEY, GREATER LONDON
Photographer: Mr R.H. Beeson ARPS
Date Photographed: 27 September 1999
Date listed: 01 March 1990
Date of last amendment: 01 March 1990
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BELVEDERE ROADTQ 48 SEBELVEDERE1/2Workshop range to SE ofmain engine house (qv)

BELVEDERE ROAD TQ 48 SE BELVEDERE 1/2 Workshop range to SE of main engine house (qv) Crossness Pumping Station II GV Workshop. Built 1862-5 by Contractor William Webster to designs of Sir Joseph Bazalgette and Charles Henry Driver, Flemish bond yellow brick with gauged red brick dressings and Portland stone to kneelers and buttresses; gabled slate roof with glazed rooflights. Rectangular plan. Each 3-bay gable end has stone-coped gable with moulded kneelers: plank double doors set in semi-circular arched architrave with raised imposts and dog-tooth hood mould set within similar third recessed arch flanked by recessed panels; doorway flanked by similar blind arches set in square-headed recessed bay with carved stone corbels to arcaded frieze and dentilled dog-tooth cornice. North wall of 12 bays has similar blind arches set in similar square-headed recessed bays, and 4-bay lean-to with moulded stone cornice and semi-circular arched east doorway with fanlight. South wall of 24 bays has offset buttresses dividing recessed bays each of which has similar frieze and cornice. Interior: 12-bay wrought-iron roof. One of a pair of workshops facing south elevation of the boiler house of Bazalgette's main engine house of 1862-5. (Contract drawings in GLRO: MBW 2511)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.