© Mr Anthony Rau
CHURCH OF ST MARY, ABCHURCH LANE EC4 (west side)
CITY OF LONDON, CITY OF LONDON, GREATER LONDON
Mr Anthony Rau
01 April 2007
04 January 1950
Date of last amendment:
04 January 1950
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
5002 ABCHURCH LANE EC4
Church of St Mary
TQ 3280 NE 16/443
1681 to 87 by Wren.
Nearly square body with plaster vault supporting large dome. North-west tower
with gallery to south of it. Plain exterior of red brick with dressings of Portland
stone. Moulded brick band and parapet hipped, slated roof. Large, segmentally-
arched window to each front (north side obscured) flanked by round-arched openings
with circular ones above. Arched and corniced door under western window on south
side. West front altered. Plain tower in 4 stages with round-arched and circular
openings. Lowest stage now rendered with arched and corniced doorway. Square
lead covered dome with plain lantern and spire. Interior remarkable for its dome,
which has decorative paintings extending into the splayed reveals of 4 elliptical
dormers. Vault springs from enriched corbels and from Corinthian column and pilaster
defining west gallery which has enclosed vestry beneath northern half. Very fine
original reredos by Grinling Gibbons 1686, pulpit with tester, font with cover
and rails, organ case and gallery front, doorcases wall pews, 2 sword rests etc.
Stone doorway to octagonal, domed lobby in base of tower. God wall monuments.
One of the least altered of Wren's churches.