© Mr Jim Buckley LRPS
CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH, ALDGATE HIGH STREET EC3 (north side)
CITY OF LONDON, CITY OF LONDON, GREATER LONDON
Mr Jim Buckley LRPS
10 August 2000
04 January 1950
Date of last amendment:
04 January 1950
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ALDGATE HIGH STREET EC3
5002 (North Side)
Church of St Botolph
TQ 3381 SE 12/382 4.1.50.
1741 to 44, by G Dance (elder). Aisled body with ritual west tower (in fact south-east)
flanked by low, domed lobbies. Mixed yellow and red brick with partly painted
stone dressings. 2-tiers of windows, segmentally arched below and round arched
with stone dressings above. Central Venetian Window with larger one to simply gabled
east end. Entablature topped by parapet. Lobbies have pedimented doorways, cornice
and blocking with copper roofs to domes. Tower has arched doorway in pedimented
lower stage. Arched and circular openings above with quoins, strip pilasters etc
and cornice topped by carved urns and spire above with octagonal clock stage.
Interior greatly altered by Bentley in 1889 (?) Widely spaced, Doric colonnade
rising from level of gallery which is supported at west end by small Ionic columns.
Rich plaster ceiling with figures of angels to cove, entirely late C19. Reredos
said to be of this date but with mid C18 characteristics. Plain C18 pulpit. Carved
organ case, possibly 1676 or rather later. Good wrought iron altar rails and sword
rest. Monuments in vestibule under tower also plain marble font with good oak