© Mr Paul Howard LRPS
STATIONERS' HALL, STATIONERS' HALL COURT EC4
CITY OF LONDON, CITY OF LONDON, GREATER LONDON
Mr Paul Howard LRPS
21 July 2002
04 January 1950
Date of last amendment:
04 January 1950
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
AVE MARIA LANE EC4
(Formerly listed under
TQ 3181 SE 8/188 4.1.50.
Late C17 and later. Hall circa 1670, refaced by Robert Mylne in 1800. East side
of Portland stone with 4 round-arched windows and doorway with arch above. Small
cornice and high parapet with Coade stone panels. Semi-circular steps and pair
of ornamental lamp standards to entrance. Second, lower entrance to basement.
Fine lead rainwater head. Rear rendered in plain manner.
Interior has coved plaster ceiling of C19 character. Fine original screen, with
modest staircase, also doorcases, dressers panelling etc with much carving. C19
stained glass. Further fine carved C17 joinery in Stock Room to east, which with
adjoining staircase dates from 1887. This wing has high basement and is faced
in Portland stone with slated roof and a low spire above a bay window. Small,
stone-faced addition at south end of hall with entrance below. Courtroom, to north
of rear garden has been rebuilt but retains some C18 features. To west is simple,
original building of 1 storey now stuccoed. Mullioned and transomed windows.
Hipped, tiled roof. South side of garden is enclosed by St Martin's Church. Scheduled