© Mrs Mary Winch LRPS
CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH, BISHOPSGATE EC2 (west side)
CITY OF LONDON, CITY OF LONDON, GREATER LONDON
Mrs Mary Winch LRPS
24 July 2001
04 January 1950
Date of last amendment:
04 January 1950
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
1.5002 (West Side)
Church of St Botolph
TQ 3381 NW 5/57
TQ 3381 SW 11/57 4.1.50.
1725-9, altered considerably. Aisled and galleried nave with tower over square
cnancel, flanked by lobbies. East elevation (to Bishopsgate) of Portland stone
with arched window framed by paired Doric pilasters supporting pediment. Corniced doors on either side connected to windows above. Circular openings over and cornice topped by balustrade. Tower rises in 3 stages with pilasters, clock etc and is topped by 4 urns arid a circular lantern, within a balustrade, capped with ogee dome and carved finial. Other elevations of red brick and Portland stone, altered in C19. Nave is lower than east end with 2 tiers of windows, segmentally arched below and round-arched above. Small cornice and parapet. C19 doorway to north and south, latter with enrichment. Centre of west end set forward with flanking consoles and-Venetian window. Corinthian colonnade on pedestals to interior, supporting architrave and panelled barrel vault with enrichment. Coved ceiling to aisles. Panelled front to gallery which is supported on pair of Ionic columns and piers at west end and has 2 vestries below. Arch to groin-vaulted chancel with enriched panels to intrados. Pulpit and organ case (divided into 2) apparently early C18.Circular lantern added to centre of nave.