No Image Available
CHURCH OF ST MARY LE BOW, CHEAPSIDE EC2 (south side)
CITY OF LONDON, CITY OF LONDON, GREATER LONDON
04 January 1950
Date of last amendment:
10 November 1977
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
Church of St Mary-le-Bow
(Formerly listed as Remains
of Church of St Mary-le-Bow)
TQ 3281 SW 9/243 4.1.50.
1670-83 by Wren. Crypt C12. Interior destroyed in World War II and reconstructed
in near facsimile. Square body of churoch has arcades of 3 bays separating wide
central aisle from very narrow aisles at either side. Exterior faced in red brick
with dressings of Portland stone. East and west elevations have pedimented or
gabled centres with 3 arched windows, flanked by narrower windows with circular
openings above. Pedimented west door. The central south door is disused and there
is an arched window to either side of it. The interior has a plaster vault supported
by an order of engaged Corinthian columns. Clerestorey lighting. No old fittings.
Large, plain, groin-vaulted lobby joins church to tower fronting Cheapside. One
of Wren's largest and finest designs, this has an open ground storey and above
a balconied window to the street is a bracketed clock. The pilastered belfry stage
supports a balustrade with scrolled finials at the corners and a steeple with 2
orders of columns, the upper order renewed in granite in the C19. To the north
of the church is a vestry and beneath this and the main building is a good but
altered C12 crypt.