© Mr Paul Howard LRPS
CHURCH OF ST CLEMENT, CLEMENT'S LANE EC4 (east side)
CITY OF LONDON, CITY OF LONDON, GREATER LONDON
Mr Paul Howard LRPS
21 July 2002
04 January 1950
Date of last amendment:
04 January 1950
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
CLEMENT'S LANE EC4
Church of St Clement
TQ 3280 NE 16/446 4.1.50.
1683 to 87, by Wren. Rectangular body with short south aisle and south-west tower.
Exterior now stuccoed with some stone dressings. Round-arched principal windows
and segmentally arched openings above, many now blind and some upper ones altered.
Recessed, round arched west door (altered) with 3 windows above (central 1 blind).
Cornice, central pediment and shaped parapet. Reduced cornice to north elevation.
Doorway at west end and main windows all blocked. East elevation has 3 main windows
only, differing sill heights. Vestry, partly C17, very plain. Simple tower with
round arched and circular windows mullioned openings to belfry and crowning balustrade.
Interior has order of Corinthian pilasters above high wainscot with pair of columns
to south aisle which formerly had gallery. Groined vault rising to flat ceiling
with large circular panel in centre (renewed in 1925). Pattern of windows and
blind panels is varied on east side with 3 large openings of differing sill height.
Upper windows partly disturbed. 3 large lunettes over south aisle. Fine original
fittings include large reredos (with later colouring), pulpit and tester, organ
above entrance lobby, door cases, communion table and rails, stalls, marble font
and cover etc.