No Image Available
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CORNHILL EC3 (south side)
CITY OF LONDON, CITY OF LONDON, GREATER LONDON
04 January 1950
Date of last amendment:
04 January 1950
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
Church of St Michael
TQ 3281 SE 10/312 4.1.50.
1670 to 77, by Wren. Tower 1715 to 21 by Hawksmoor. Remodelled and refitted circa 1860 by Sir George Gilbert Scott. Aisled body with arcades on Doric columns. Plaster vaults. Circular clerestory windows and circular top lights to aisles. West tower, open to church, with vestibule to south and porch, entirely by Scott, to north. Most of exterior is obscured by adjoining buildings. South side of nave of Portland stone with 4 round arched windows filled with C19 tracery. Clerestory rendered with wooden cornice. Tower in gothic style of Portland stone, in 4 main stages. Polygonal turrets with ogee caps. Very rich gothic porch of Portland stone with shafts of polished pink granite to archway and much carving. 1st World War memorial, by Richard Goulden, attached to north-west corner. Small bronze group on narrow stone pedestal. Interior owes nearly as much to Scott as to Wren. Venetian renaissance tracery to windows with fine stained glass. Circular east window above reredos of coloured marble incorporating C17 paintings of Moses and Aaron. Altar rails, tiled pavement to choir, elaborate pulpit and lectern, pews etc all mid C19. C17 marble font on new base and carving of pelican. Good wall memorials.