© Mr Alan Simpson LRPS
REMAINS OF CHURCH OF ST GILES, CRIPPLEGATE, FORE STREET EC2
CITY OF LONDON, CITY OF LONDON, GREATER LONDON
Mr Alan Simpson LRPS
06 May 2001
04 January 1950
Date of last amendment:
10 November 1977
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
FORE STREET EC2
Church of St Giles
(Formerly listed as remains
of Church of St Giles,
TQ 3281 NW 3/35 4.1.50.
Mid C16 incorporating earlier tower etc. Refaced C19, in squared rubble with Portland
stone dressings, except for upper stage of tower which is of red brick with timber
cupola and dates from 1683-4. Roof renewed after fire in World War II which destroyed
fittings except for few wall monuments. Aisled nave with short chancel. West
gallery under construction at time of survey to take organ from St Luke's Church,
Old Street. C19 south-east vestry in character with church.