© Mr Anthony Rau
CHURCH OF ST JAMES GARLICKHITHE, GARLICK HILL EC4 (east side)
CITY OF LONDON, CITY OF LONDON, GREATER LONDON
Mr Anthony Rau
21 April 2005
04 January 1950
Date of last amendment:
04 January 1950
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
GARLICK HILL EC4
Church of St James
TQ 3280 NW 15/408 4.1.50.
1674-87, by Wren. Aisled building with central transepts and clerestory, arranged
within a rectangle from which a sanctuary and west tower project. Red brick with
stone dressings, the walls below clerestory level stuccoed. Round arched windows,
those in transepts reduced to circles; segmental arches to clerestory. Blocked
north doorway. Main cornice of stone with brick parapet. Wooden cornice to clerestory.
West front of stone with scrolls flanking tower which is now largely faced with
Portland stone. Tower plain with pierced parapet and 4 urns. Elaborate stone
lantern in 3 stages with paired Ionic columns etc. Beneath the tower is domed
lobby. Interior has order of Ionic columns on high panelled pedestals, supporting
clerestory and high, coved ceiling. West gallery With 2 decorative iron supports
and fine organ case of 1697. Other good C17 fittings (not all original to church)
include pulpit, marble font with cover, stalls, panelling, communion table and
remade reredos. 2 staircases to gallery probably early C18. Painting of resurrection
at east end. Wall monuments.