© Mr Alan Simpson LRPS
CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS, BYWARD STREET EC3
CITY OF LONDON, CITY OF LONDON, GREATER LONDON
Mr Alan Simpson LRPS
05 May 2002
04 January 1950
Date of last amendment:
04 January 1950
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
GREAT TOWER STREET EC3
Church of All Hallows,
Barking by the Tower
TQ 3380 NW 17/474 4.1.50.
Saxon and medieval building with brick tower of 1658 to 9. Burnt in World War
II. Arcades, centre of east end, roof and steeple rebuilt to new design by Seeley
and Paget. Old walls, largely refaced, are of squared rubble in C15 style. 2
storeyed north porch and vestry, late Cl9 or early C20 in ornamental gothic style.
3 storeyed, C20 south-west wing of brick and stone. Plain tower of red brick with
wooden, modillion cornice and elaborate, copper covered steeple rising through
circular balustrade of Portland stone. Crypt under south-east chapel. Some fittings
from old church survive including canopied stone monument to Sir John Cooke, 1477,
and a number of medieval brasses. Also very fine late C17 font cover, sword rests,
stair balustrade etc. In crypt are remains of later C2 or C3. Roman house including
part of a corridor and adjacent rooms. Ragstone walls, half timbered partitions
and tessellated floor (preserved below tower) (358 and 359). Later C7 or C8.
Aisleless church built of reused Roman material and incorporated in the early medieval
church. Arched doorway with Roman brick drawings, probably to former porticus,
at west end of church.