© Miss Patricia Philpott ARPS
REMAINS OF CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE JEWRY, GRESHAM STREET EC2 (north side)
CITY OF LONDON, CITY OF LONDON, GREATER LONDON
Miss Patricia Philpott ARPS
23 August 2005
04 January 1950
Date of last amendment:
10 November 1977
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
GRESHAM STREET EC2
Church of St Lawrence Jewry
(Formerly listed as remains
of -Church of St Lawrence Jewry)
TQ 3281 SW 9/233 4.1.50.
16710-86, by Wren. Rectangular body with north aisle and west tower flanked by
vestibule and chapel. Interior destroyed in World War II and rebuilt in near facsimile
but with clergy house inserted into west end of north aisle. Exterior of Portland
stone with round arched windows and segmental arches to the attic or clerestory.
East elevation richly treated with engaged Corinthian portico on high pedestal,
with pediment against attic. South side has circular windows at either end above
doorways (eastern one now blocked). North side of rubble with Portland stone dressings.
Plain west front with 2 windows and central doorway with tower rising above. This
has an entablature and balustrade with 4 obelisks, crowned by a lead covered lantern
and spire. Fine interior with Corinthian pilasters supporting heavily beamed ceiling.
No old fittings.