© Mr Alan Simpson LRPS
CHURCH OF ST OLAVE, SEETHING LANE EC3 (west side)
CITY OF LONDON, CITY OF LONDON, GREATER LONDON
Mr Alan Simpson LRPS
05 May 2002
04 January 1950
Date of last amendment:
04 January 1950
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
HART STREET EC3
Church of St Olave
(Formerly listed as remains
of Church of St Olave)
TQ 3380 NW 17/483 4.1.50.
C15 incorporating crypt and other work of late C13. Timber roof destroyed in World
War II and renewed. Nearly square body with north and south aisles of 3 bays.
Clerestory. Westward extension of nave and south-west tower. C19 (?) south porch
and south-east vestry added in 1661. Exterior of squared rubble, much repaired.
Shaped coping to parapets. Clerestory, north aisle etc now of Portland stone.
Tower has octagonal turret to south-west and upper stage of yellow brick dating
from 1731 to 32 by J Widdows (?) Round-arched windows with circular openings above.
Stone cornice with parapet. Octagonal timber lantern with domed copper roof. Bracketed
clock to east. Interior has unplastered rubble walls. Fittings include late C17
pulpit, communion rails,sword rests etc. Mid C18 communion table. Modern west
gallery and organ. Good monuments. Vestry of brick, now cemented, with slated
roof and south gable. Interior retains original panelling and plaster ceiling.