© Mr Paul Howard LRPS
REMAINS OF CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, HOLBURN VIADUCT EC1 (south side)
CITY OF LONDON, CITY OF LONDON, GREATER LONDON
Mr Paul Howard LRPS
14 July 2002
04 January 1950
Date of last amendment:
10 November 1977
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
HOLBORN VIADUCT EC1
Church of St Andrew
(Formerly listed as remains
of Church of St Andrew)
TQ 3181 NW 1/8 4.1.50.
1686-7 by Wren. C15 tower recased and heightened by Wren in 1704. Interior of
church burnt in World War II and rebuilt in near facsimile. Aisled nave of 7 bays
with short chancel and west tower flanked by low vestries etc, those to the east
with domes. Portland stone. 2 tiers of windows, pairs of doorways and balustrade
to copper-covered roof. East end has 3 light window, in 2 tiers, and 3 crowning
urns. 2 statues of charity children on west face of tower which is crowned by
balustrade. Galleried interior with Corinthian columns on high pedestals supporting
arcades and plaster vault. Furnishings modern except for organ case.