© Mr Bob Manekshaw LRPS
CHURCH OF ST MARY WOOLNOTH, LOMBARD STREET EC3 (south side)
CITY OF LONDON, CITY OF LONDON, GREATER LONDON
Mr Bob Manekshaw LRPS
01 October 2000
04 January 1950
Date of last amendment:
04 January 1950
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
KING WILLIAM STREET EC4
Church of St Mary Woolnoth
TQ 3281 SE 10/300 4.1.50.
1716 to 1727, by Hawksmoor. Square body with raised centre supported at each corner
by 3 Corinthian columns and lit by large lunette windows at clerestory level.
Arched windows to south. Broad, shallow tower to west with arched entrance through
rusticated lower stage. High pedestal above, supporting order of engaged Corinthian
columns. Above again a pair of square lanterns connected and topped by balustrades.
At each side of tower are modern entries to Underground Railway. North elevation
with 3 elaborate baroque niches above blind openings. Big, bracketed cornice topped
by section of balustrade stopped by carved consoles. South elevation, obscured
by single storeyed building in front, has partly blind arcade to upper part and
simple cornice and parapet to clerestory. Interior has rich decoration in plaster
and carved wood. Shallow, arched sanctuary contains elaborate canopy supported
on twisted columns. Decorative iron altar rails. Carved fronts and supports of
galleries, formerly on 3 sides of church, now fixed against walls. West gallery
survives with good organ case. Very fine pulpit and tester etc.