© Mr Bob Manekshaw LRPS
CHURCH OF ST EDMUND, LOMBARD STREET EC3 (north side)
CITY OF LONDON, CITY OF LONDON, GREATER LONDON
Mr Bob Manekshaw LRPS
03 September 2000
04 January 1950
Date of last amendment:
04 January 1950
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
LOMBARD STREET EC3
Church of St Edmund
TQ 3281 SE 10/302 4.1.50.
1670 to 79, by Wren. Simple rectangular body incorporating south tower. Shallow
chancel to north. Exterior of Portland stone with round-arched windows simple
corniced east elevation now with 3 windows. Corniced south door flanked by low,
rectangular openings and 3 larger windows above. Crowning cornice with central
pediment and parapet swept up to tower, flanked by urns. Central, bracketed clock.
Upper stage of tower has large, single openings and bracketed cornice topped by
parapet and urns. Lead covered, octagonal lantern and spire. Open pediment to
chancel. North elevation hidden by adjoining buildings. Plain interior with blind,
arched panels repeating pattern of windows. Coved ceiling with semi-vault to chancel.
Tower flanked by lobbies with altered gallery above. Original fittings include
good reredos, pulpit, communion table and rails, doorcases, stalls, organ case
(in 2 parts), font with cover and rails, wainscot etc. Paintings of Moses and
Aaron. Wall tablets. Modern vestry etc at east end.