© Mr Jim Buckley LRPS
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, LOTHBURY EC2 (north side)
CITY OF LONDON, CITY OF LONDON, GREATER LONDON
Mr Jim Buckley LRPS
21 August 2000
04 January 1950
Date of last amendment:
04 January 1950
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
5002 (North Side)
Church of St Margaret
TQ 3281 SE 10/282 4.1.50.
1686-95 by Wren. Simple, rectangular body with lower south aisle flanked by vestry
to east and tower to west. Simple south elevation of Portland stone with round
arched windows, cornice and balustrade. Vestry has square headed window with circular
opening to room above. Entrance at base of tower with engaged Corinthian columns,
pediment etc. Tower stone, in 4 stages with round and segmentally arched openings.
Lead cupola topped by obelisk With weather vane, Sides and rear of church are
rendered with stone dressings: similar to south front but with circular upper windows.
Various single-storeyed additions at rear. Interior has order of Corinthian pilasters
with colonnade to south aisle. Cove with circular windows to flat ceiling. West
gallery with organ. Fine pulpit with tester. Reredos altar rails, chancel screen
and other fittings, some removed from demolished churches. Wall tablets, 2 with
busts. Brass chandeliers.