© Mr Jim Buckley LRPS
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW UNDERSHAFT, ST MARY AXE EC3 (east side)
CITY OF LONDON, CITY OF LONDON, GREATER LONDON
Mr Jim Buckley LRPS
09 August 2000
04 January 1950
Date of last amendment:
04 January 1950
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST MARY AXE EC3
Church of St Andrew Undershaft
TQ 3381 SW 11/364 4.1.50.
1520 to 32, incorporating C15 tower partly rebuilt in 1830. Aisled nave and chancel
with clerestory and no structural division. Tower at south west corner. Squared
rubble, partly rendered with cement. Portland stone parapets etc. Slight projection
to chancel. Polygonal stair turret on north side. Tower rises independently of
clerestory with enriched doorway in south side flanked by buttresses and square
turret to north west. Top stage now rendered with renewed battlements and large
pinnacles. Flat, timber roofs with bosses to north and main aisle, latter with
cove. Paintings to spandrels of arcade circa 1726 (?) Marble font by Nicholas
Stone with cover. 2 sword rests; fine late C17 organ case with 2 large figures;
altar rails; pulpit; pews cut down from old ones. Doorcases to north and under
tower with segmental pediments, etc. Stained glass. Fine monuments especially
to Thomas Offley, died 1582; John Stow, died 1605, and Hugh Hammersley, died 1636.
Plain C17 brick vestry to north east with C19 addition in stone to west of it.