© Mr Bob Manekshaw LRPS
CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN, WALBROOK EC4 (east side)
CITY OF LONDON, CITY OF LONDON, GREATER LONDON
Mr Bob Manekshaw LRPS
03 September 2000
04 January 1950
Date of last amendment:
04 January 1950
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
Church of St Stephen
TQ 3281 SE 10/258 4.1.50.
1672 to 87 by Wren. Rectangular body with stone columns supporting large, plaster
dome with barrel-vaulted arms (additional bay to west) and flat ceilings to corner
compartments. West lobby and porch (plus vestry and tower to north) extend to
street frontage. Plain exterior of ashlar, rubble and brick, partly rendered,
with simple cornice and blocking. Round-arched, circular and elliptical windows.
Recessed clerestory. Copper roofed dome arid lantern. Plain tower in 4 stages
of squared stone with dressings and part refacing of Portland stone. Crowning
cornice and balustrade, and open, stone steeple in 5 diminishing stages with weather
vane and order of Ionic columns to lowest stage. New, enclosed staircase at base
of north side of tower. Corniced porch, with round-arched entrance and enriched
elliptical opening above. Stone steps inside rise to corniced doorway. Interior
has order of Corinthian columns and pilasters, on low pedestals, with rich entablature.
8 arches support the coffered dome and lantern, all with plaster enrichment.
Clerestory windows segmentally arched or lunettes. Pavement and some fittings
of Cl9 date but following are original: fine wainscot with benching, reredos (with
Cl9 pediment), communion table and rails, pulpit and tester, west gallery with
organ and doorway below, font and cover. Large, later C18 altar piece by Benjamin
West, now in north transept. Good wall monuments.