You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 199825  

Print Page



© Mr Paul Howard LRPS

IoE Number: 199825
Location: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW THE LESS, ST BARTHOLOMEW'S HOSPITAL, WEST SMITHFIELD EC1
  CITY OF LONDON, CITY OF LONDON, GREATER LONDON
Photographer: Mr Paul Howard LRPS
Date Photographed: 14 July 2002
Date listed: 04 January 1950
Date of last amendment: 04 January 1950
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

In the entry for: WEST SMITHFIELD EC1 1. 5002 St Bartholomew's Hospital TQ 3181 NE 2/24 4.1.50 Church of St Bartholomew the Less B the Grade shall be amended to read Grade II* (star) and the description shall be amended to read as follows: Anglican church and hospital chapel. C15 south-west tower; late medieval brick walling and some masonry, possibly of an earlier date, to north-west vestry. The octagonal nave, which is built from brick, stone and cast-iron, dates to 1823-5, its architect being Thomas Hardwick, then Hospital Surveyor, who was reproducing George Dance's octagonal nave of 1789-91; the builder was Peto. Five-sided chancel and window tracery added in an 1862-3 restoration by Philip Hardwick. Fittings added through the 1860s. Further restorations in the C20, particularly in 1950 to repair war damage; stained glass by Hugh Easton from this time. The post-medieval work in a Gothic Revival manner. Five-sided apse, pierced with lancets; shafts to rib vaulting; chancel arch and steps. Octagonal nave, with triangular areas on the diagonal axes; stellar vault with robust bosses. Geometric tracery of 1862-3 to clerestorey windows on the diagonal axes of the octagonal drum; diaphragm arches to triangular areas below. Perpendicular tracery of two and three lights below, most with Y-shaped heads. Organ to west gallery; narthex to east of entrance of one bay. Encaustic tile paving, pews, some of which along walls, and altar rail, all of 1862-3; carved pulpit given by Philip Hardwick 1864. The floor of the main body of the church is approximately two-and-a-half feet above ground level, a peculiarity which has not been fully explained but which may indicate the presence of vaults. Chandeliers in a late C18 manner suspended from central boss and apex of diaphram arches. Good collection of monuments and brasses of C15 to C20. Those of particular note: Brass in vestry to William Markeby (obit 1439) and his wife; memorial to John and Mary Darker, 1784, 1800, signed by J Binley. Aedicular monument to Thomas Bodley in north-east corner. Octagonal Anglican churches are very rare; Dance adopted the plan in part as an expedient, fitting the piers into the roughly square area enclosed by the medieval nave and aisle walls. He may have been influenced by the dozen non-conformist octagonal churches built between 1761 and 1776. He used a similar plan for the rebuilding of Micheldever tower in Hampshire, 1806-8, again retaining the medieval tower at the west end. To judge from Dance's drawings, Hardwick was relatively faithful to the earlier designs but was compelled to replace the filling medieval walls retained by Dance with new construction. ------------------------------------ WEST SMITHFIELD EC1 5 St Bartholomew's Hospital Church of St Bartholomew the Less TQ 3181 NE 2/24 1.4.50. B 2. 1823-25, by T Hardwick, reconstruction of the church by G Dance (junior) of 1789. C15 tower of squared rubble with brick parapet, and entrance beneath. Body of church in Gothic style. Walls gently of old stone and red brick (in situ of reused) and partly of yellow brick with some rendering. Ashlar dressings. Interior formed as octagon with plaster vaulting. Roof construction said to be of iron. Monuments.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.