You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 200362  

Print Page



© Ms Frances Ottaway

IoE Number: 200362
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, CHURCH HILL
  WOOLWICH, GREENWICH, GREATER LONDON
Photographer: Ms Frances Ottaway
Date Photographed: 17 October 2006
Date listed: 26 March 1954
Date of last amendment: 08 June 1973
Grade B

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

4412GREENLAW STREET SE18---------------------Church of St Mary with St Anne(formerly listed as Church ofSt Mary Magdalene, Church Hill)

1. 4412 GREENLAW STREET SE18 --------------------- Church of St Mary with St Anne (formerly listed as Church of St Mary Magdalene, Church Hill) TQ 4379 8/W3 26.3.54. B 2. Main body of church, 1732-8. Nave and aisles, the aisles partly embracing West Tower. 2 storeys, stock brick with Portland stone dressings, and gauged red brick arches to openings. Heavy stone cornice. Brick parapet over with segment-header recessed panels. Brick angle pilasters continue up to parapet coping and cornice breaks out around them. Round arched 1st floor windows with stone surround and key, within red brick arch and jambs. Ground floor windows similar but segment-headed. Tower of 4 stages, 2 above roof line. Cornice and parapet similar to those on body of church. Round-headed louvred bell openings in top stage. Bulls-eye windows beneath. West door in tower, with moulded architrave, console bracketed cornice and pediment. Round arched doorways at west end of each aisle. East end added in 1894 by Scott, in classical style. 1-bay transepts have round-arched windows with moulded architraves. East window Venetian, with heavy stone surround and dentil cornices at sides. Basement windows breaking line of plinth, at East end. Inside, nave of 5 bays has gallery supported on octagonal piers with Ionic columns above, each carrying architrave and swell frieze supporting entablature. Segmental vaulted nave roof with paterae in centre of bay panels. Wide, 1-bay transepts East of chancel arch, the North as organ chamber, the South as chapel. This chapel has the original C18 reredos with attached, fluted Ionic columns and similar pilasters. Segmental vaulted chancel roof with geometrical pattern of raised borders and paterae in centre. Choir, between transepts, has raised marble floor. West gallery, resting on slender wood columns, has tower entrance beneath. Oak doorcase of fluted Doric pilasters with triglyph frieze and dentil cornice. Aisles now converted to offices and East and West galleries glazed in to form separate rooms. Monument to Daniel Wisemary Clerk of the Cheque of His Majesty's Yard at Deptford. Died February 7th 1738/9 (sic).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.